Chapter 1

(Cato's POV)

Our society is comprised of 12 districts. The Capitol basically controls everyone. There used to be a 13th district, that is until they rebelled against the Capitol. The Capitol destroyed them, showing the districts that they'll always be more powerful. In punishment, the Capitol created the Hunger Games to keep the districts from starting an uprising. Every year one male and one female are selected from each district to participate in the Games where only one can win and the other twenty-three tributes will die.

The district 1 and 2 tributes are called careers. They've been training their whole lives to volunteer for the Games, just like me.

"Hey, everyone! Gather around, I've got something to say!" A man named Eric shouted across the training room, here in District 2, "Hey! You there! Stop throwing knives!" He shouts to the girl I've always had an eye on, though I don't know what her name is.

She had long silky brown hair, freckles and she was very short for her age. She was put into my age category since she's too good for her own category, though she's only fifteen and I'm sixteen. She lifts her head and glares at Eric.

"I honestly really don't care what you have to say, odds are it's not useful!" She shouts back.

"Get over here. Now. I don't have time for you, Princess. You can either come here the easy way or the hard way." Eric says sternly with a smirk.

"Ooh, he's dead. No one threatens Knife Girl and gets away with it." Mason says. He has brown hair and brown eyes and he was very tall and buff, just like me.

Mason's always been my best friend. Though I have many friends, different groups and all, we do everything together. Train, eat, watch Tv, the list goes on.

My eyes fall to Knife Girl as she quickly pulls back her arm and whips a knife towards Eric. It slices off a chunk of his black, spikey mohawk and stuck into the stone wall behind him. "What did you say?" Knife girl asks, tossing a knife up in the air and catching it. Her adorable and innocent face made it easy for her to trick people. She smiles cheekily at Eric. "You were saying?..." Some people may find that bratty, but I find it incredibly intriguing.

"Um, never mind." He says awkwardly to her, he turns back to the group. "The reaping is in one week. Train hard and start planning your strategies. Good luck." He says and walks out of the training room, patting his newly cut hair.

My eyes lock to Knife Girl again as I make my way towards her. She throws three knives at the dummies and they hit the head, throat and heart. "Nice aim, Princess." I smile and she stops what she's doing and looks up.

"What do you want, Cato?" She asks with a sigh. Her green eyes meet mine and sparkle like emeralds in the sun. She unzips her leather jacket and places her knives back into its slots and crosses her arms over her stomach, waiting for me to respond.

"Let's see...for starters, what is your name? You know mine and so I want to know yours." I smile.

"Okay well, it's definitely not Princess, I'm Clove Sevina." She chuckles and shakes my hand. Her hands were so soft and cold that it was comforting in the summer heat here in 2.

"Okay. Hi Clove. Um...Can you show me how to throw a knife? I kind of suck." I say with a light laugh and grin.

"The great Cato sucks at something? Wow. Didn't see that coming," She laughs and then continues, "and why would I want to do that?" Clove asks and while tightening her ponytail.

"I can teach you how to use a sword. They help for survival. And killing, of course." I smirk and pull out the sword from my waist. I quickly turn to the right and slash the sword across a dummies body. The head falls off and I immediately stab him straight at the heart.