Ten days!?

Aaliyah

Abu was back and that was all I could think of. I prepared a place for him to stay. He kept on hugging me every chance he got. I was happy but felt empty too. What is wrong with me?

Tamim was visiting that day. He insisted that he wanted to meet my father. I had to leave immediately after he arrived since my three weeks long leave was over.

Thinking of Hotel Bin Ali made me sick. I knew I would ran into Haytham. What would I do? He will probably pretend he doesn't know me. Maybe I should do the same.

The city was getting more dangerous. Suicide bombers were blowing themselves up in hotels and bars. I would have feared for my life a year ago but right now all I do is get angry every time it happens. I guess I have lost it completely.

The first person I met at the hotel was Ms Silver, Haytham's blonde friend or girlfriend. She seemed different. Her eyes had sunk in and she had lost a great deal of weight. She even seemed less confident. I guess the city has destroyed her. She smiled at me and told me how much she had missed her bubble bath and latte.

"You have no idea how much I need a creamy cup of latte right now." She said. I simply smiled at her.

She was trying to communicate with her family back home but she couldn't since the network was horrible.

"Dang it!" She hit her laptop with her fist angrily.

"Madam stop. You will hurt yourself." I said as I tried to grab her laptop from her. Her hand was shaking and I didn't know how to calm her down. She sobbed loudly and I had no other choice but to call one of her friends to calm her down.

I called Jem. He seemed astonished to see her in that state. He held her hand and took her laptop away.

"Easy now." He pulled her for a hug and her normally flawless hair dangled on her shoulders. "Everything is gonna be fine."

Jem took her to her room. I decided to make her ginger tea, it always helps me calm down.

"I have never seen her like this before." Jem said as she drank her tea. "She must be overwhelmed by everything she has seen here."

"Jamie," she called him softly that even I felt sorry for her. "I miss home so much. I miss my mom. I just wish -"

Jem hugged her as her voice trailed off. She looked so fragile.

"Come on Ariana, you will be home in no time at all." He wiped her tears away. "Just ten days, that's all that it takes."

I didn't want to stand there any longer so I gave Jem her medicine and left.

Ten days, after ten days i might never see Haytham again. I felt horrible. What if he leaves while he is still mad at me? I had to talk to him.

Haytham

I heard Ariana had a nervous breakdown. Jem was there with her so I didn't go to check on her. Jem told me that Aaliyah was back. That meant I might run into her anytime. She would probably make me lose my mind all over again.

It was late in the evening and I knew Aaliyah's shift was over. I had stayed in my room the whole day. I didn't want to see ; atleast not yet. There was a knock at my door and I was almost sure it was Jem.

"Come in." I called as I tied a towel around my waist since I was from the bathroom. I was combing my hair; which I have to admit was too long.

"We need to talk." I almost dropped my comb when she walked in. I turned around and looked at her. She still had her uniform on and her hair looked incredible.  I watched as she glared at me for a moment. "Could you please put on some clothes." She said and tore her eyes from me.

"Am really comfortable with my skin." I said and wished that I sounded rude enough for her to walk out angrily.

"I can't look at you, you are technically naked." She said still avoiding to look at me.

"Point of correction, I am only half naked." I knew I was pushing it but I really wanted her to be mad at me and stay away from me; maybe that will make this  easy for me.

She looked at me with a face that had no expressions at all. She sighed and I could tell she was angry.

"Whatever, I wanted to -"

"Do you think I should have a hair cut?" I asked knowing very well she would get mad at me.

I finally got what I wanted. She took a few steps and stood in front of me.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" She asked as she stood on her tiptoes trying to look at me straight in the eyes. "Why are you being such an..." She pushed me and angrily walked towards the door.

"Wait Aaliyah." She stopped and I saw her shoulders stiffen.

"What?" She hissed at my face.

"Just say it. Insult me."

"You really are an asshole." She finally said it and her jade green eyes welled up with tears.

I felt like a monster. Why the hell did I do that? I really must have pushed it.