The rebellion

The curfews came and went. We only went to school when they allowed. Ahsad was not allowed to play outside. He stopped going to school since Mama freaked out every time she heard gunshots. She was afraid of losing him. Ahsad who is a bit too big for a thirteen year old could be easily mistaken for a terrorist.

Two of my classmates died after their homes were blown up. It is really hard to live under an invaded country. It was hard to have a tyrant for a leader but right now we all wish he was still the one ruling us and not these heartless monsters who are trained on how to kill and destroy only.

"I am sorry about Yazid." Hanan, my best friend who had a major crush on Yazid said to me on our way home. I wasn't sure on how to respond so i forced a smile on my face and nodded.

It was hard to fit in a new school. The first few days after the government scholarship failed to pay for my studies and i came back to our country, i refused to enroll in a new school. Abu talked me into going to a local school, telling me it was going to be temporary. Hanan was the first friend i made. She almost went crazy when She came to my home and met Yazid, she could not stop talking about how handsome he was. I knew very well that Yazid's death had affected her.

"Are you alright?" I felt awkward immediately after i said that.

"I am not sure, I can't believe he is dead. He was so alive the last time i saw him."

"I saw his body and i don't believe it either."

"I always wished he would be the one who would marry me." She said and smiled a rueful smile.

I chuckled. I didn't know she was that into him.

"There is Ahsad and he is as handsome as he was," I said trying to make the moment lighter. Hanan laughed.

"Come on! Isn't he-"
She was cut short by a blast that shock the ground and made our ears ring. There were shootings and sirens. We ran as fast as we could and hide behind a car.

"That blast was definitely from our street." I said as i felt the familiar feeling of fear and anger fusing in my heart.

"Oh God! What is it this time." Hanan said angrily. I took out my phone and dialled Ahsad's phone number. It rung twice without being picked. Worried and scared i called Mama.

"Aaliya, where are you habibty?"

"I was on my way home when i heard the blast, are you alright Ummi? Was it our home?" I asked breathlessly.

"It wasn't our home but the mosque near the field. There are so many dead and even more are injured. You better come home really fast. Ahsad is driving me nuts, he wants to kill himself."

I left Hanan shocked and scared without saying a word. I ran all the way home wondering what we did to deserve this. Why were we being persecuted in our own land? Why now? Why on earth would someone blow up a mosque when people are praying? Why kill all those innocent people?

I found Ahsad punching the wall angrily and Mama sat down staring at him. It was clear that he was angry and Mama looked sad and worried.

"Talk to him may be he will listen to you." She said while wiping the tears from her face with her hijab.

"What's wrong, pal"

"It's so unfair. First they take our land, our electricity, our water, our lives and now they destroy our place of worship." He shock his head. " i should have been there when they blew it up, i should have died with my brothers. "

"Ahsad, you know Mama would die if anything -"

He walked out of me before i even finished my sentence. I ran after him to his room but he locked me outside.

"Stay away! I don't want to talk to anyone."

I tried to talk to my mother but she wouldn't stop crying.

That day the teenage boys and a few grown ups marched outside and decided to stand up for us all. It was first act of rebellion by my people.