Awkward

I got so occupied in the first two weeks of our stay there. Ariana was being as bossy as ever. I tried to talk her into giving me an off on Friday but she wouldn't allow me.

"You are so evil." I said to her once. "You gave me this job so that you'd have fun bossing me around." All she did was smile at me and rolled her big blue eyes. She had make up on, which left me wondering how long she'd last here.

Aaliya, who was clearly avoiding me since we met, was working the morning shift which goes up to 7pm. I tried to walk her to her place twice but every time she came up with a lame excuse. Tonight I have made up my mind, I would walk her home no matter what.

"Haytham no, I'll take a taxi."

"Please Aaliya, I insist." I gave her my puppy look. "Besides, we never got a chance to finish that game."

She smiled and I was sure I nailed it.
"OK, I'll be waiting for you." I think I did a victory dance in the elevator. I had a great mood the rest of the day, not even boss Lady could ruin it.
************************************

We walked past the general hospital. Aaliya refused to take cotton candy which I bought. She said it was childish. The solders who had destroyed the town were still around with their heavy boots. Aaliya seemed distracted and a bit distant.

"Why did you disappear like that?"

Boom! The bomb had finally exploded. I scanned my head for a lie that could make sense but came up with nothing.

"I lost my job so I had no way of coming back into this country." I finally decided to tell the truth.

"There was a point in my life a few months back, that I kept wishing you were here." She sighed as I held my breath. "But you were not here and sadly enough, I was on my own."

I went dumb again. We walked into a messy flat and Aaliya opened the door to one of the apartments. It was well furnished and smelt of jasmine, just like Aaliya. I made myself comfortable as she went into the kitchen. For some reason I felt awkward, being alone in the small living room.

"Can I join you?" I asked as I stood at the door. She raised her eyebrows and I caught a glimpse of her eyes. They are kinda green in colour.

"Sure." She gave me a smile.
I could really get used to this. I thought and smiled.

"I know the song now." I gave her a puzzled look. She simply waved it away with her magical smile. I wonder if it's real. "Tum hi ho. We can continue playing while I make dinner."

"Don't tell me you looked it up?" I half laughed. "You little cheater!"

"Remember like Texas. No rules." She said.

"No way I hate losing so I'd rather not play."

"You sure are a party Popper!" I wanted to argue with her but my mind was else where. Where is Ahsad and her mother?

"Ahsad?" I started with the less sensitive part. "Where is he?" He face went suddenly red I think she got mad.

"Who is Ahsad?" Did she really ask that!

"Your brother?" I knew it was supposed to be a statement but it sounded like a question.

"I had only one brother and he is dead?" Her light green eyes went suddenly mad with rage.

"So what you making?" I asked to bring the mood back to normal. She smiled and I knew that one was definitely fake.