Oh, my! (Aaliya)

The baby would not stop crying. I had to ask Jamila to take over my shift. She complained that she was tired. I had to promise her I would stand in for her from 4pm to midnight. She agreed. That meant I had around six hours to spend with my baby.

"Oh, Yazid. Aren't you the cutest baby in the world?" I said as I fed him. "You have grown up."

Baby Yazid has became my only friend and my only source of happiness. Seeing him laugh is great. I did the laundry and cooked dinner for myself. It's been long since I had real food.

At around 3pm I took my little Angel to my neighbour Amina. I took a cab to work. My manager would be mad if he founds out I skipped work again.

"Finally!" Jamila said when I arrived. She seamed too eager to leave. I quickly changed into my uniform and stood behind the counter. My job sounds easy but it isn't. I am a receptionist at a grande hotel. The whole day they expect me smile at everyone and compliment them as I serve them. The hard thing is that they don't allow me to wear my hijab. Every night, I pray that Allah forgives me. What can I do? Baby Yazid needs to be fed and sheltered.

A blonde lady walked in with a smirk on her face, she looked like a cat that has just caught a mouse.

"Welcome to Bin Ali, a place to call home." I gave her my fake smile.

"Thank you. Could you check me in please. It's Ariana," she smiled and her face dimpled. "Ariana Silver." I gave her the keys to her room and she walked away with a smile.

"James Dickson. How are you?" A young man with a heavy British accent smiled at me.

"Fine and you?" I smiled back at him.

"Tired but breathing." He smiled again.

"Here is your key and the lift is right there." I smiled. He seamed like a nice guy. At the waiting area I could see a beautiful young lady talking to a man whom I think needed a haircut. She then slowly walked to me. I gave her her keys and she smiled sweetly at me. My job demands a lot of smiles from me but I get more.

"My friend over there has a headache. Do you think you can help out?"

"Sure." I said with an automatic smile.

As I was debating with myself. Whether or not I should go to him. He slowly got up and half walked - half staggered towards me. I immediately realized he is a Muslim. I felt so embarrassed, only non-Muslims have seen me without my hijab but now here is this young man who is obviously a Muslim. I quickly pulled my hair to the front so that it would cover most of my face. I immediately felt hypocritical and it made me mad at myself.

"Hello." He said and his voice sounded familiar. I looked up out of curiosity and my heart almost stopped dead. It was him.

"Hi." I answered nervously. I had already typed his name on the computer. "Here is your key. Room No. 36D." I said and the automatic smile played on my face despite of the fact that I had covered my face.

"Thank you."

"I'll have painkillers sent to your room."

"No thanks. I don't take medicine." I pushed the hair from my face when he walked away. After everything I have gone through, I am not ready to see him.