Chapter 3

"Matt!" I called out in a panic. "Nicole! Are you okay?" He called the concern in his voice ringing clearly through the cave. "I'm fine, but I can't see anything." I called back. "I'll go get some help!" He said. "I have my phone!" I sighed in relief. "Hurry!" I called trying not to sound panicked. I heard him running outside to get a better cell service. "Hello? 911? I need help. Me and my girlfriend were in the ice cave when the tremor hit and she got caved in. Okay, please hurry!" I smiled and blushed with the fact that he called me his girlfriend. "They're coming. Don't worry, I won't leave you for a second." "Thanks." I put my hand on the rocks and could feel him do the same. All of a sudden there was a blinding flash of light and the rocks were gone. I blinked away the spots from my eyes and looked around. I gasped, we weren't in the cave any more. We somehow were outside the cave. "Matt?" I whispered. "What just happened?" I asked. He opened his eyes and looked around, his eyes finally finding mine. "I have no clue." That was the last word before the people Matt called came around he corner. "Where is she?" They asked. "I'm right here." I said still in shock. "But he said you were trapped in fallen rocks." "I did, but... I don't even know what happened." They all just stared at us like we were crazy. "Why don't you walk us through what happened." The guy nearest us said. I smiled reassuringly at Matt. I walked over to the drawing, which (gladly) wasn't covered up this time. I motioned to Matt. "We were standing here like this." I said and then the room filled with light. "Then this happened and I saw a light in one of those rocks and I went to go see what was inside it, but then the tremor hit and I was caved in. Then Matt called y'all and he came back over and we put both put our hands on the rocks and then we were outside." I looked at the guys who had their mouths open. I dropped our hands and the light died. "How did you do that? People have been to this cave, for years, to see if that would happen but it's never worked." Me and Matt shared a confused look. "What do you mean?" We asked. "There's a legend surrounding this cave drawing that one day two kids will make it shine and they will defeat the evil trying to destroy the River of Time." This time it was our turn to gape. "We don't even know what to do!" I shrieked. Matt put a reassuring hand on my shoulder. I leaned back into him and he moved his hand from my shoulder to around my waist. "It's going to be okay." He whispered into my ear. I nodded. "Do y'all know what to do?" I asked in a calmer voice. "I'm sorry but no. Although I do know someone who can help you." I nodded for him to go on. "You will be surprised to know that it's your dad, Matt." He gasped and stepped back causing us to fall over. "We should get going but good luck." They said as they walked out of the cave. "You okay?" I asked quietly. "Not really but we should go." I grabbed his hand reassuringly. He gave me warm smile and we walked out into the dying light of the afternoon.

Sorry this chapter was so short! Hopefully it will be the shortest of the bunch.