☔️ part 5

Life's like a red light
Sometimes it feels like you will never change

The same road to nowhere
The same faces passing me by

I couldn't have planned it to be so distracted by your eyes

And crash

CHAD BROWNLEE- "CRASH"

WHEN I REACHED out to adjust the microphone secured to its stand, which was bent over the electric piano like an elbow, the audio device let out a series of short crackling sounds. My breath came out in smoky white clouds as I worked away, putting the final touches on the equipment. Once I was happy with the setup, I straightened my back and placed my fingerless-glove-clad hands on the smooth white keys in front of me. I played a couple soft chords to test the feeling of the keyboard before falling into a rhythmic chord progression, playing just loud enough to start attracting attention.

"Good evening everyone," I said when I felt comfortable. Putting on my best smile, I looked up and searched the crowd for Grant. When I found him standing near the barren rooftop garden beds to my left, my smile widened.

"Thank you all for coming out tonight to celebrate the end of classes!" Enthusiastic cheers erupted from the cozy crowd at the mention of classes being finished. When they died down, I continued. "I'll be playing three songs for you tonight...."

The atmosphere beneath the twinkling Christmas lights on the rooftop was quite different from my last show at the student run café. Tonight wasn't the time for ballads but a night for upbeat, quick-paced, familiar music. Music people could dance to, laugh to, sing-along to. As such, I'd chosen to play covers, figuring that would get everybody in a cheerful mood. If the sound of the applause after Coldplay's "Hurts Like Heaven" and my rendition of "Santa Baby" was any indication, I'd assumed correctly. As the clapping subdued, I smiled and looked into the crowd.

"Thank you so much," I said. "I really enjoyed playing for all of you tonight. Now, my final song is a special song to get us all in the Christmas spirit. It's one that you all voted on. And let me say there was a definite, clear-cut winner. So without further ado...."

Taking in a sharp, deep breath, I played the opening chord to Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas." Immediately, loud squeals came from the crowd, and I closed my eyes, trying to focus on hitting all the right notes. When I found my footing, I opened my eyes to find couples and friends dancing, smiling as they twirled around the rooftop. As I moved into the chorus, people started singing along.

It was weird. This song had been our song last Christmas. The song we danced to while we set up his family's tree and the song that always made me turn up the volume when it played on the radio. So, naturally, I'd assumed hearing it now and performing it would make me feel something. But seeing everyone so happy in the company of friends and lovers alike, it made me feel... good. Not sad or miserable or even jealous.

Then I saw Grant. He'd moved up closer to the stage, and I could see the grin on his face as he raised the styrofoam cup in his hands to his lips. He was looking right at me, and his smile grew when he saw me looking at him, singing to him.

And then it clicked. Whether I liked it or not, I was falling for Grant and there was no going back.

By the time the truth of my revelation sunk in, the song was over. After wishing everybody happy holidays and the best of luck studying for exams, I was quick to pack up my music and scuttle off the makeshift stage, eager to meet Grant. For what reason I didn't know. After the brutal ending my relationship with Landon had, I didn't want to date again. But I couldn't deny the way I felt around Grant, the way I felt about him. And I couldn't avoid dating for

"Excuse me!"

Feeling light pressure on my shoulder, I quickly turned around. When I did, I was surprised to find myself face-to-face with a young stranger with dark freckles and long, bright red hair.

"Hi," I said, smiling despite really just wanting to get this over with so I could meet up with Grant. The thought made me mentally recall some lyrics from the Chainsmokers' "Closer."

"I just wanted to ask you if you'd be interested in playing at my sister's birthday party. She's turning sixteen next week and we're throwing her a surprise party," the stranger babbled. "It would be cool to have some live music, and, well, you were just so good!"

Flattered, I had to remind myself to speak. "Wow! Yeah, I'd love to see if we can work something out," I agreed. "Um, can I give you my info, or you can give me yours?"

After exchanging contact information with the happy stranger, I found Grant sitting patiently on the edge of one of the concrete flower beds. When he saw me approach, he stood up and handed me a warm cup.

"You were amazing!"

"Thank you!" I said, a little too chirpily.

Even Grant seemed to notice my unusual enthusiasm because he raised an eyebrow. "What's up?"

"I was just asked to play at a birthday party," I shared. "By a complete stranger!"

Grant's face was a physical representation of my intangible enthusiasm, causing my smile to grow even wider. "Wow—that's great Hayden!"

"I'm really excited," I agreed. "I've never been asked to play anywhere before."

"Seriously?" Grant asked, seeming genuinely surprised. "What about these gigs on campus?"

"I volunteered," I stated before taking a sip of the warm cider in my gloved hands. When the sweet liquid landed on my taste buds, my stomach let out a loud growl.

Grant nodded, taking this in.

"I'm kind of hungry," I said as my stomach let out another roar. "I was thinking of grabbing a burger at the diner. Do you want to come?"

"Sure," Grant agreed, holding out his hand to take my empty cup. I handed mine to him and he tossed both of ours into the metal garbage bin as we passed by it on the way to the staircase down.