Chapter Seventeen: The Vision Which Grants Power

Buildings loomed above him, surrounding the area with their over whelming presence. Each building resembled a miniature castle draped in gold lining dipped in chocolate from Fileatte. Each building towered at least thirty feet tall and together could have fooled Kei for being one huge castle. In fact, it looked suspiciously like the castle he used to live in.

"It's like a replica..." Kei whispered his voice quite and ghastly. David turned to him and slapped him on the back with a chuckle.

"Ay, this is a replica. In fact, the entire city of Berlianion is a replica of a certain castle in Fileatte." David whipped the horses and they began to fast walk. "Do you know what Fileatte is?" Kei snorted, and turned his gaze back to the city.

"What kind of person builds a city based on a castle?" He shook his head.

"Lord Zellock did." Kei could tell that David's comment was said innocently, so he pushed forward.

"Zellock? Is he the lord here?"

"He is, assigned nay twenty summers ago." Kei whistled. Even among the high lords, living through twenty years of power was impressive. Look at his dad, twenty five years of power and even with the best security in the known lands, he still died.

"Do you know where he lives?" David laughed; it was course and dry but still sounded warm to Kei.

"O'course I do. Who doesn't?" He pointed behind Kei. When he turned around to look at where David was pointing, his eyes landed on the tallest building. This building was giant. It was so high that it overshadowed the other buildings. The top was most likely taller than that of Fileatte's tallest building. "He lives right up there. Even now he's there with some lasses for away." Kei stayed silent and waited for more. "I even heard that one of them was a noble from Fileatte."

"A noble from Fileatte? Why would they be here?"

 "Well, they come for marriage obviously. Lord Zellock has been offered two brides and he must choose one." David stopped and yanked the reigns. "Let me tell you a secret." He swiveled around and looked at Kei directly. And in a lower voice such that Kei had to lean in to hear, he said, "I believe so rumors even say that it is the princess of Fileatte. Kaya, I think."

Kei leaped out of the cart, and took off without looking back towards the home of Zellock. His target was acquired, and hopefully would be dead before his sister was stained. He crashed into several people, one was a woman carrying a bag full with fruits, and another was a man yelling out the name of boy.

With the tower in his mind, and the path to it laid out before him in the shape of a road, Kei raced towards it. The wind blew fiercely against his face the faster he went, and before long it began to pour.

He stopped under a tree some ways off the path for a rest. The tower had looked much closer than it had been. Kei leaned against the tree and took in deep, ragged breaths. His lungs quivered with the effort and his body shivered. He was drenched to the bone, and the wind didn't help matters.  

Deciding it was the best option; Kei climbed up higher onto the tree, and stripped off his wet clothes. Better they dry for tomorrow and he bear the cold today, then they and he stay wet until the next pair of clothes comes along.

Kei continued up the tree until he found a perfect branch for him to rest in. The main branch slanted so it gave him the ability to rest and also move quickly when needed. Then there was another branch that reached out to his branch from another, and was in the perfect position for him to lean his back against when turned sideways. Actually, it was probably the best bed he had had in months.

He closed his eyes, and tried to get some rest. Although he managed to sleep, the dreams made it uncanny and stressful until Kei gave up the attempt and stared up at what little he could see of the sky.