Chapter Six: The Break in

Kei slipped his fingers underneath the window, proving to a doubtful Cyreen that they could get inside. Kei heaved, lifting the window up to its fullest extent; he elevated himself and squirmed through the window. He flashed a smile at Cyreen and Hywen, who were attempting at catching their breaths.

            Kei reached out to grab Cyreen’s hand, but she turned him away, her face red. “Hywen! Lift me up!” Hywen looked at Kei, Kei looked at Hywen, and they both shrugged.

            Once Cyreen and Hywen had entered, they began searching. The plan was for Cyreen to search the first floor, and be the look out. Hywen would search the second floor and Kei would search the third floor.

            Kei was half way to the stairs when Cyreen called out. “What are we looking for again?” Kei stopped in his tracks.

            “Good point Cyreen. Yeah, Kei, what are we looking for?” Asked Hywen, skeptic.

            “Just look for anything that may have anything to do with why she’s here!”

            “Oooooh, that’s right. Nobles are so stupid that they leave papers out for people to break in and read it. ‘I am here because blah blah blah.” Cyreen put her hands on her hips. “Seriously Kei! When you plan a break in, actually decide what the point to the break in is!” 

Kei was about to respond, but at that exact moment he heard hoof beats and voices. The three froze in place, overtaken by the fear of being caught. Kei was the first to break free; he grabbed Hywen and Cyreen, running up the stairs. He entered a random room and gently shut the door behind him.

“What do we do now Geniuses?” Cyreen asked, obviously in panic mode.

“You wanted to come with! Don’t blame us!” snarled Hywen.

“Both of you, shut the fuck up!” barked Kei, louder than he intended.

“Did you hear that milady?” A hoarse voice that made Kei picture an old man, withering away in his years. Kei, being the creative mind that he was, decided to call him, ‘Old man’.

“It came from upstairs!” This time the voice sounded light and gentle. Like an angel.

They heard footsteps rush upstairs, Kei turned back towards his friends. “This is it! We’re all going to die!” Cyreen shrieked. The voices became louder. Kei ran to the end of the room and opened the window, and then he turned around and pushed them into the closet, shutting the door quickly.

Kei heard the door to the room open, and someone turned on the light. He thought that there must have been some twenty guys chasing them, but when he listened he only heard footsteps for two.

“Aaahh, they’ve escaped through the window!” The gentle voice spoke, sounding depressed. “I wonder what they took…”

“Damn it! I hope they go to Destructa for this!” Old man barked, rather angry.

“Now, now. Don’t talk like that Dimange. We don’t know what they took, if anything at all.”

“Yes, milady. I have already ordered the servants and the bodyguards to search the premise and to see if they can spot whatever they took.” Hmmm… so the Old man’s name is actually Dimange, huh? Too bad, I’m sticking with Old man.

Kei opened the door a bit so he could see the faces but Hywen immediately pulled it shut, and put his fingers to his lips. Kei nodded, and took a peak at Cyreen, who was curled up in the corner. He shook his head, wondering how she could be too scared to listen in. It was why they had come there in the first place!

“Milady, I am deeply sorry for this.”

“Dimange, I told you that I didn’t like it when you call me ‘milady’.”

But milady-”.

“As my butler you must do as I say, correct?”

“Yes… Cecilia.” Kei pictured Old man bowing, his torso at a ninety degree angle. He couldn’t help but chuckle a little; he quickly put his hands to his mouth. “If I may ask milady, why are you so desperate to find this man?”

            Kei looked at Hywen, and he nodded. They both understood that this was what they had come looking for. Even Cyreen had perked up, and was now pressing her ear to the door.

            “He is the one man that can restore peace to Fileatte.” Kei’s left eye, beneath the patch, pounded painfully in his head like a migraine; he lifted his hand to rub it and was immediately relieved. He couldn’t believe what this girl was spouting about him. Wait… could she know that I’m the prince…?” “Also he was my first love.” Kei started to chuckle, thinking about how that poor guy was getting chased around the world, cause she likes him. “I miss Kei, so much.” It hit him that she was actually talking about him. He sucked in breath while chuckling and began to gag. Hywen and Cyreen jumped on him to cover his mouth, but they knocked him forward, and together they accidentally knocked down the closet door. Shit!

            The room was deathly quite; Kei looked up and identified the two voices. It really wasn’t that hard, considering that Old man looked exactly as Kei had pictured him.   

            Old man (or Dimange) looked to be around sixty years old; he was pretty tall, maybe 6 foot 1, skinny, snow-white hair, and very pale skin.

            The gentle voice was quite the contrary. She was probably around 5 inches smaller than Kei, making her around 5 foot 5. She had light blue hair, and mysterious pale yellow eyes, almost to the point that you could mistake her eyes for gold. Once again Kei felt a tug at the back of his mind, but couldn’t place it.

Her mouth formed the shape of ‘Oh!” but had frozen, no sound coming out. Old man had jumped and knocked himself out by knocking his head into the side of desk, apparently he had been kneeling.

Kei sat up rubbing the back of his neck where Hywen had head bumped him. Kei turned towards Hywen, “You’ve gotta a freakin’ big head, ya know that!”

“You gotta be kidding me! You’re yelling at me! It’s your fault we’ve been discovered!” Hywen growled, clenching his fists.

“Excuse me…” The girl had regained her posture, her back straight and eyes staring directly at Kei. “Why are you in my house?” Kei and Hywen had already started arguing and completely ignored her. “EXCUSE ME!”

“Eh?” Kei turned around to face her. “Could you hold on a sec you highness, majesty or whatever the hell you like to be called?” He whirled back to Hywen, disregarding her stunned face. “Why did you guys jump on me like that? I could have stopped the coughing!”

“It was reflexive! Why did you cough in the first place?” Kei’s face turned red and Hywen raised an eyebrow. “Her firs-” Kei leaped at Hywen, sending both of them crashing back into the closet.

Cyreen on the other hand had done the exact same thing as the noble; she had dusted herself off, regained her posture and was now strolling nonchalantly towards her. Kei decided to leave the arguing to her and focused on Hywen.

“Apologize!”

“NO! It’s your fault Kei!” Kei received a punch in the face, which he gratefully returned. It went on like that for a while, but eventually they ran out of breath.

“I can’t believe we got into a fight…” Grumbled Kei, rubbing his cheek as they sat up. Hywen moaned in agreement.

“I know, usually it doesn’t come to that.” They looked at each other’s beat up faces. Slowly they cracked a smile, and then all of sudden they started laughing, pounding each other on the back. “We should head back, Hywen.”

“Yeah, you’re probably right.”