Chapter 5: Catching the Niffler and a Mating Dance

After getting out of the case, we Disapparated out of the Goldstein residents and into the streets of New York; Mr Kowalski leading us to Central Park. "I was watching you at dinner." Newt said to Kowalski.

"Yeah." He said.

"People like you, don't they, Mr Kowalski?" Newt asked him.

"Oh--well, I'm sure people like you too--huh?" Mr Kowalski asked Newt, startled at his question.

"No, not really. I annoy people." Newt muttered.

"But what about (y/n)? She's with you." Kowalski said pointing at me.

"She and I share the same interest in creatures, so in away we both annoy people." Newt replied.

"So, are you two a couple?" Kowalski asked, sounding unsure if he should ask.

Newt and I glance at each other for a moment before saying. "No." At the same time. "We're just friends." I said, feeling my face turning red, as we continue down a deserted street, lined with shops full of expensive jewelry, diamonds and precious stones. "Ahh." said Kowalski.

"Why did you decide to be a baker?" I asked him, changing the subject.

"Ah well, um--because I'm dying--in that canning factory. Everyone there's dying. It just crushes the life outta you.." Kowalski said then turns to face us and asked. "You two like canned food?"

"No." Newt and I answered.

"Me either. That's why I want to make pastries, you know. It makes people happy." He said with a small smile.

Then he points to the right and said. "We're going this way." And we turn to the right as Newt asked. "So did you get your loan?"

"Er, no--I ain't got no collateral. Stayed in the army too long, apparently--I don't know." replied Kowalski. "What, you fought in the war?" I asked him, intrigued.

"Of course I fought in the war, everyone fought in the war--you two didn't fight in the war?" Kowalski asked us.

"We worked mostly with dragons, Ukrainian Ironbellies--Eastern Front." Newt responded as I stop and notice a small shiny earring lying on top of a car bonnet.

"Uh,boys...." I said as I pointed. Newt saw the earrings too then moves his gaze downwards. I look down too and see diamonds scattered across the pavement leading toward the window of a diamond shop. Newt stealthily follows the trail, creeping past the windows. I follow behind until I stopped, seeing something out of the corner of my eye and it seems Newt saw the same thing.

We tiptoe back and see the Niffler standing in a shop window, trying to pretend it's a jewelry stand. I fold my arms across my chest as the both of us stare at the little pest in disbelief. Sensing our gaze, the Niffler slowly turns to face us and makes eye contact with us for a moment before he, suddenly, takes off.

Newt whips out his wand and points it at the window. "Finestra." He said and the glass shatters. He leaps inside the shop and start seizing at the draws and cupboards, desperate to find the creature.

I climb inside as the Niffler appears scurrying over Newt's shoulder in an attempt to get higher and away from his clutches. I jumped on a desk after him but he is now balancing on a crystal chandelier. 'Oh Bugger!' I think to myself as I jump up on the chandelier, hanging from it as we spin windy around and around until the chandelier finally had enough and it crashes on the floor, smashing. I groan as the Niffler clambers across cases full of jewelry.

Newt walks over to me real quick to help me up. "You all right?" He asked, softly. I nod as the two of us chase after the Niffler. We jump on the case the little guy is on and the case, not taking our weight, falls to rest against the window. Newt, the Niffler and I all become very still when, suddenly, a crack appears on the window.