Chapter 2: MACUSA and No-Maj

"Come on." She said as she drags Newt and I towards a tall, ornately carved skyscraper. "Er--sorry, but we do have things to do, actually." Newt replied but the woman still tugs on his coat sleeve with one hand and my wrist with her other hand. "Well, you'll have to rearrange them!" She snapped at us and guides us through the busy traffic.

"What are you two doing in New York anyway?" She asked us.

"We came to buy a birthday present." I said, not telling her what we were really doing there.

"Couldn't you have done that in London?" She asked.

"No, there's only one breeder of Appaloosa Puffskeins in the world and he lives in New York, so no...." Newt said as she moves us towards a side door which was guarded by a man in a uniform. "I got a Section 3A." She said to the man and the three of us walk through the door.

"Hey. By the way, we closed that guy down a year ago. We don't allow the breeding of magical creatures in New York." She said and we walk into the MACUSA's main lobby. I stare around this place in awe.

High above us, a gigantic dial with many cigs and faces emblazoned with the legend: Magical Exposure Threat Level. The hand on the dial points to Severe: Unexplained Activity. And behind that was a portrait of a witch named Seraphina Picquery, the MACUSA president.

The woman guides us through the bustle towards an elevator that's being operated by a goblin. "Hey, Goldstein." The goblin said to the woman, Goldstien. "Hey, Red." She said as she pushes Newt and I inside.

"Major Investigation Department." Goldstein said.

"I thought you was--" Red started to say but Miss Goldstein cut him off.

"Major Investigation Department! I got a Section 3A!" And Red uses a long clawed stick to reach a button that was above his head and the elevator descends. I look over at Newt and see that he has an annoyed and worried look on his face. I place my hand in his and stroke the back of his hand with my thumb. He looks over at me and I give him a sympathetic smile and he gives me a small smile as the elevator stops and Miss Goldstein grabs my arm, still holding Newt's hand, and pulls us out of the elevator.

"Whatever it is, one thing's clear--it must be stopped. It's terrorizing No-Majs and when No-Majs are afraid, they attack. This could mean exposure. It could me war." I hear a woman say as the three of us cautiously approach a group of people, who looked like they were having some kind of meeting.

One of them, which I realized it was the MACUSA president, turns around to face us. "I made your position here quite clear, Miss Goldstein." She said, obviously angry but she was containing it really well.

"Yes, Madam President, but I--" Goldstein said, frightened but the president interrupts her.

"You are no longer an Auror." She said. 'Oh interesting!' I thought as Goldstein said. "No, Madam President, but--"

"Goldstein." The president said, sternly.

"There's been a minor incident--" Goldstein started to argue.

"Well this office is currently concerned with very major incidents. Get out." said the President.

"Yes, ma'am." Goldstein said, humiliated, and she pushes us back towards the elevator.

After another elevator ride, we enter in a cramped, airless, windowless basement room. Goldstein leads us past a hundred typewriters clacking away unmanned with a tangle of glass pipes hanging down from the ceiling above us. She walks us towards a dingy corner with a sign that said: Wand Permit Office, hanging over it. Newt, of course him being so tall, ducks under it as we walk towards Goldstein's desk.