Chapter 1 - A Not So Typical Friday

“Chaz, Chaz, Chaz!” I shouted, trying to get him to stop walking or at least slow down so I could catch up with him. He carried on walking away like he hadn’t heard me calling out his name. I tried to walk faster to catch up with him because everyone was starting to stare at me and give me weird looks like I was talking to myself.

“Hey, I’m talking to you man” I frowned at him when I caught up. He mumbled a sorry without looking at me. What’s up with him today? I thought to myself. I started talking to him about the Egyptian project we had been assigned to do together this half term but he seemed really distant and he wasn’t listening which was quite annoying because I ended up scheduling all the date and times we should meet up to do the project and stuff like that without his help. He just nodded occasionally acting like he was paying attention when it was clearly not the case.

We’d both just finished a period of History and to be honest I was looking forward to chilling out with my best mates. Apparently Caitlyn had bought the latest issue of Pop Chick that morning and she said it looked really good, full of posters of hot singers and actors, personality quizzes and the usual celebrity gossip. Ryan had bought himself a new football during the weekend with his pocket money and he’d wanted to try it out with Christen and Chaz at break. So we’d all decided to meet up behind the science block where we usually hung out if we didn’t want to be disturbed.

We walked across the school grounds till we reached out hangout where Caitlyn and Christen were already waiting.                                                          

“Ryan’s getting the football form his locker” said Christen explaining Ryan’s absence. Me and Caitlyn started chatting over her issue of this fortnight’s Pop Chick magazine. Ryan came back clutching a black and gold patterned Nike football under his arm. It looked quite cool and me saying that is really something because I literally detest football. Ryan and Christen started kicking the football about. This was a very typical Wednesday break but something seemed different. Chaz was sitting on the bench opposite me and Caitlyn instead of joining in with them. He was flicking through a skateboarding magazine and he had a motorbike magazine resting on his lap. The skateboarding magazine was covering half his face but I could still see his eyes. They seemed blank, like he was in his own world and unaware of anything that was going on around him. I was sure he wasn’t even reading the magazine.

“Earth to Chaz, come in Chaz” I joked as I sat down beside him. He looked up at me and put a faint smile on his face but it just lasted a nanosecond then he bent his head back down to face his magazine. I noticed he had started to blush, cute. I always find it funny or cute when a guy blushes depending on who it is. It’s just that in my opinion blushing is more of a girl thing.

“Hey Lava” he muttered under his breath.

“Was ‘sup?” I asked, this was so unlike Chaz. He was always so energetic and chatty. The buzzer went before he could answer. Damn, I cursed under my breath getting up and slinging my leopard patterned shoulder bag over my… well over my shoulder obviously. I’d just have to try and cheer him up later on, preferably when the buzzer stops buzzing.

***

I trudged up the stairs to join my maths class. I stepped in and everyone in the room turned around to see who had just come in late. Ms Allen looked daggers at me as I walked to my seat. I wasn’t good at maths, but only because I thought it was boring and really hard at times. Ms Allen thinks it’s because I talk too much in her lessons so she always makes sure I sit at the back of the class on my own with no one to talk to, so obviously this isn’t the real reason because if it was it would have made a difference to my grades. The only difference it made was to my mood. I really hate Mrs Allen, she’s the sort of teacher that favourites the cleverest students in the class and thinks bad grades is due to bad behaviour, no question.

I slumped down on to my seat and got out my pink butterfly pencil case and maths book. I started scribbling the date already bored. I looked up at the board… argh!, I thought, angles are the worst sub-topic in maths ever, well apart from algebra, shape, fractions and sums, yeah it’s pretty much the worst. I wrote down the title and aim frowning and started doing the worksheet miss had placed on my desk. The only good thing about sitting by yourself at school is that you don’t have to share your table with anyone and no one complains if you don’t use ‘your side’ of the table.

Twenty-four minutes into the lesson planned specially to torture us students, the door opened and in came Mr Hudgeson, our head teacher, followed by the cutest guy you could ever lay your eyes on… too bad the guy standing before us was a total fake. Justin Bieber had just walked in. All the girls immediately started squealing, whispering and running towards him with their arms flung out. Talk about crazed.

I stayed where I was rolling my eyes at the lowness of their maturity. Mrs Allen’s face turned as red as a tomato as she shouted at everyone to get back to their seats and settle down. I looked at her red face and could easily picture steam coming out from her ears like they do in cartoon animations. I stifled a laugh trying to turn it into a cough. As soon as everyone quietened down, Mr Hudgeson started talking. Surprisingly he didn’t seem nearly as frustrated about the classes’ outburst as Miss Allen, actually if anything he seemed amused about it. Probably because of all the publicity the school was going to recieve now.

“Okay everyone, as I’m sure you all already know this is Mr Justin Bieber. He will be studying here at Ravens Wood for the remainder of the year. He wishes to be treated the same way as anyone else and girls… leave him alone” he added as a warning, eyeing Michellina sternly, who looked like she was about to burst in excitement.

As soon as he stepped out and closed the door behind him, all the girls straightened up in their seats and stared at Justin adoringly flicking their hair, except me, I didn’t give a damn about what he thought of me and I knew I never would. Celebrities shouldn’t mix with normal people in my opinion, it never turns out well and they just end up getting hurt or hurting someone because they are heartless people who only care about themselves and their ego most of the time.

“Okay, well ummm… Justin as you can see we’re a bit full at the moment, would you mind sitting next to Lava over there” Mrs Allen said pointing at the empty seat beside me. Oh my days, I cannot believe my bad luck, of all girls that he could be sitting next to, he has to sit next to the only one that’s not crazily in love with him. I looked around and met the glares of all the girls in the room staring at me like they would’ve killed to be in my place, you’re very welcome to it, I said to them in my mind as I sighed heavily to show everyone I couldn’t care less. Clearly making them that much angrier.

“Sure” I could hear him say as he walked towards my table, well of course it wasn’t mine anymore, it was going to be ‘ours’ urgh. He slumped down and dumped his bag on the floor under the table then turned to face me. He grinned at me thinking I could be won over so easily.

“Hey” he said being friendly. I replied with a false smile and turned back to my work as Mrs Allen came over to hand him a new exercise book. This was going to be a nightmare.