Chapter Fifteen: Obsessed

OBSESSED

      "Come on, Sam. Get up."

      "No."

      "You need to get out of bed."

      "Make me."

      I knew my comment made Alex roll her eyes. She was standing by my door, leaning against the frame, arms crossed. "Sammy, you haven't left your bed in three days."

      "I don't feel like doing anything," I whispered as I closed my eyes. I had not felt like doing anything since Zane and I last spoke three days ago at the hospital, when he told me to leave, and that he needed time to process the news that he was going to be a father.

      Part of me, the rational part, understood. I knew that hearing that I was pregnant was not going to be amazing news to him, and that he would be shocked. But I guess the other part of me thought he would take a deep breath, hug me, and tell me that we would be okay.

      Wishful thinking, huh?

      "Come on," Alex sighed as she walked over and sat on the edge of my bed. "You need to go to school." I pondered with the idea. School would be a nice distraction from reality. But on the other hand, I did not want to deal with people asking how Zane was and the details of the accident. I don't think I could handle that without full coming undone.

      "I don't think I'll be going today, Alex." I looked up at her. "I just don't think I have it in me."

      "Mikey's getting worried." She breathed. "He thinks you're slipping."

      I closed my eyes. After I had came home from the hospital after Zane wanted me to leave, I was a mess. I had locked myself in my room and cried for at least two hours, while Mikey sat outside of my door, trying to coax me out.

      I didn't want him to worry about me anymore. "Is he really that worried?" I opened my eyes and looked up at Alex.

      She nodded. "He just doesn't like you isolating yourself. He's scared you'll..." She trailed off. I knew what she meant.

      I didn't want Mikey to worry. Sighing, I sat up and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. I heard Alex squeal. "You're actually gonna get up and go back to school today?"

      "For Mikey," I said quietly. "I don't want him to worry about me. I'm fine. I, I just..."

      "I know-"

      "What if he leaves me, Alex?" I locked eyes with her. "What if he never speaks to me again?"

      "Oh, Sam," She quickly leaned over and pulled me into a hug. "he won't. Like he said, he just needs time."

      "How much time does he need?" I pulled away from her and stood. "It's been three days! That's... that's the longest time we have gone without speaking. Ever." Alex gave me a sad look. I began to pace. "Alex, he hasn't even tried to call me."

      Alex didn't say anything. She let out a soft breath before looking down at her hands folded on her lap. "He just needs time to process this. You said yourself, you expected something like this."

      "I know." I choked. "I know I did. But I didn't think he would just say I need some time and walk away from me."  I could feel the tears weld up in my eyes. "I mean, I am going through this too. Does he not understand that? It's not just him that's having a child, its the both of us."

      My best friend stood and grabbed me by arms, stopping me mid step. "Sam. You need to calm down."

      "I need him, Alex." I cried. "Does he not know that I need him?"