Chapter Fourteen: How Did We Get Here?

HOW DID WE GET HERE?

      "Oh my Gosh Zane." I quickly ran over and gave him a tight squeeze, but gentle enough so that I wouldn't hurt his battered body. "God, you scared me." I couldn't hold it in. I had begun to sob into his neck. "Don't you ever scare me like that again, okay?"

      Zane had pulled me into his arms and hugged me as tight as he could without hurting himself. He began to rub my back softly, trying to soothe me. "I know. I'm sorry. I love you."

      "What happened?" I choked after I pulled away and sat down next to his bed. I still had a good grip on his hand. "Who did this to you?"

      He sighed as he gave my hand a tight squeeze. "I don't know."

      "Do you remember anything?" Zane had received a blow to his head, so most likely he didn't remember the attack, or who attacked him.

      Zane looked at me. "All I remember is walking down Vine Street, and this guy was behind me. I didn't really pay any attention to him until he asked me for the time. I went to pull my phone out and then... well, I guess he hit me 'cause after that I don't remember anything."

      I covered my mouth to prevent myself from letting out a loud cry. Just the thought of someone hurting Zane made me feel physically sick.

      "Wait... did he take anything? My wallet or my phone?" I shook my head. Katherine had told me Zane's attacker didn't take anything from him.

      "No." I sniffed. "Your mom said that you had everything on you when the police came."

      Zane was quiet for a minute. "So... I was attacked for no-" When he looked at me he stopped talking. His angry expression was gone almost just as quickly as it came. "Oh, Sammy... Baby, I am sorry."

      I was still crying. I hated to see Zane hurt like this. He could have died. I could have lost him because some psycho had decided to attack him for no reason. The thought of losing him terrified me. Especially now...

      I still had to tell him I was pregnant. But I needed to wait. I could not just spring it on him now, while he was laying in a hospital bed, I had to wait until he was strong enough.

      "Please, don't cry. I'm sorry, we won't talk about it anymore." He scooted over on his bed and patted down a spot for me. "Come lay with me."

      "I don't want to hurt you-"

      Zane gave a small snort and smiled, and with out stretched arms he said, "I am fine. Seriously, I honestly feel great. The medicine the doctor has given me really works." He gave me a wink.

      I gave him a flat look. "You have broken ribs."

      "Just get the hell over here."

      Reluctantly, I crawled in bed and laid next to Zane. I was hesitant to even touch him, I didn't want to hurt him. I couldn't bear to see him in any pain. However, he pulled me into his arms and we settled down into the bed. I laid my head in his shoulder and let out a soft breath. "Jesus, Zane, I've never been so scared in my entire life."

      He kissed my forehead. "I know. I'm sorry."

      It felt so good to hold him and hear his voice. Before the attack, I took these things for granted. After everything that Zane and I went through this past year, I thought he would always be here, that he would never go away. But after the attack... I realized that he could be ripped out of my life in an instant. "Don't be sorry," My voice still shook, "I just... Zane, I love you. Do you know that? I love you so much."