18| The "Date"

E I G H T E E N
Lawfully Dysfunctional

I looked at the caller identification and was pleasantly surprised to see Scott's name, therefore I spontaneously clicked picture flashing on my screen.

'Freya?'

'Hi Scott!' I said a little too loudly, taking the phone away from my mouth.

'I can hear you fine.' He sounded amused.

'Sorry about that.' I smiled, even though he couldn't see it.

'It's alright. I have my lunch break right now and was wondering if you would want to come for lunch, you're the closest person right now and I'm friendless.' He joked.

'Uh sure, should I head over now or...' I trailed off.

'Now? I don't know you tell me.'

'Now is good.' The awkwardness was literally spilling through all around me, engulfing everyone on both sides of this phone call.

'Havala's?' Havala was a famous place nearby known for it's wide cuisine of food from every culture, and it had a very casual setting so it was perfect.

'Ten minutes.'

'Ten minutes.' He agreed.

As soon as I kept the phone I smiled and went the the office washroom to adjust my hair and clean my face. Using a paper napkin to wipe my face dry, I waited for out break to start before walking out of the building.

Scott had reached before I had, so I slid into the seat, after greeting him.

'You've got a, uhm.' He pointed towards my face and I peeled a dried tissue off my cheek.

'Thanks.' I replied, embarassed.

'So shall we order?' He asked after another few moments of silence. Food was the best distraction. I hummed in a positive response, and went through the menu to pick our respective choices.

The waiter arrived with a tray full of food and gave the two of us sweet smiles, it was only after that did the weird aura around us break and we started to converse more.

'Sir!' Scott smiled at someone behind me and I turned around to look at the interruption, who by my luck came in the tall, fit form of the man who caused me too many pains. 'It's rare to see you during a working day away from the office.'

'It is, but hunger couldn't be kept away and Neil happens to be missing.' The man replied, checking his wrist watch.

'Are you here alone?' Scott asked, and I froze, not liking the direction this conversation was going.

'Unfortunately I am, and you?' Scott looked shocked.

'No, I'm here with this lovely lady in red.' I blushed, and dared to look at Mr. Vanderbilt who barely spared me a glance. 'Would you like to join us?'

At that moment, ladies and gentlemen, Scott Hill lost all the points he earned.

'I'm sure that a big CEO like Mr. Vanderbilt wouldn't have the time to sit and chat with people like me, please, I wouldn't mind. I'm sure you hae better things to do!' I said rather too cheerfully, Scott's side glance said it all.

'Interim CEO, and I'm sure that my capable staff can manage their break without me. I would love to get aquainted with the people who are close to my employees, no matter which status they come from.' He sent me a frozen smile.

'I'll show you which status do peo-' But before I could complete that sentence Scott looked up at me with a confused smile on his face.

'I'm sorry, do the two of you know each other?' I made a snorting sound.