9| Roger That!

N I N E
Lawfully Dysfunctional

'Yes!' I disguised my voice and made it a little deeper than usual, the scruffiness would not be able to reveal my identity.

'Forward this call to Elise Payton immediately.' He ordered and I couldn't help but frown at his loud demanding tone even to employees, agreed that they were not his, but still, it was mandatory to have some level of politeness.

'Did you mean that 'please forward the call to Miss Elise Payton?'' I questioned him.

'Do you need a hearing aid?' His reply made me roll my eyes.

'I would forward the call, but she is not in the office and her personal number is off limits to all clients unless she decides, so I will make sure she gets your message, may I know what it is?' I sat on the big chair, tapping my fingers ok the hard wooden table.

His sigh was audible over to the other side.

'Tell her that I will be suing her company for copyright violation and that I will also be coming over this afternoon to discuss conditions if she wanted to play safe.'

'Roger that!' I mumbled as soon as Mr. Vanderbilt cut off the connection.

I stood gaping, wondering if I should tell her and bear my bosses wrath. She wasn't as big of a terror as the others were, but she was no friendly angel either.

The door of the lift opened and I saw the formerly mentioned walking in with her assistant by her side. Seeing me she paused and then looked around.

'Do you have an appointment?' She asked me, checking the watch placed on her dainty wrist.

'No.' I said rapidly. 'I was actually just exploring, I mean, I'm new here and then I heard the phone ring so I picked it up because no one was around.'

Her assistant looked at me in a scrutinising manner.

'I don't think that's your job.' She said haughtily.

'I thought it may be important, I'm sorry, I was way over my boundaries.' I apologised. Elise Payton looked up with a small smile gracing her features.

'So was it?' She asked, placing her bag on her assistants desk.

'Was it what?' I was startled.

'Was it important?' She asked, amused.

'It was a Mr. Vanderbilt from Carson and Co. who was talking about some legal copyright violation which he wanted to sue Paragon for.' Elise Payton's eyes widened, a professional look completely replacing the earlier easy going one.

'Then I guess it was our luck that you were there to take the call, because knowing Dimitri he would turn up here whether I was aware of his arrival or not.' She stated dryly. She barked out a few instructions to her assistant who noted something down onto the notepad in lighting speed. 'That man always has the worst of timings.' Miss Payton murmured under her breath.

'I know right.' I said in reply, rolling my eyes.

'I'm sorry, do you know him?' She looked confused.

'We have a common friend.' I confided and slipped out of the room, but I could see the cautious mask that slipped onto her face.

I waited in the corridor curious, my lunch break had started so I had some time to kill. I wanted to see how Mr. Vanderbilt interacted with human beings other than Marc, Delilah and I. He was cordial and funny but Elise Payton's face had soured when she received the message I conveyed to her.

A black suit clad man moved past the front desk and I followed him. Mr. Vanderbilt seemed to look better everytime I saw him, his legs took long strides which I could keep up with.

Elise Payton gave him a firm handshake that made me want to holler 'Atta girl' at the top of my lungs.

He followed her into her office, the brown mahogany door blocking out my vision perfectly. With nothing more to do I decided to go eat my lunch from the Chinese place nearby and set out with my bag and wallet.

The menu was vast and I settled on noodles, I asked the guy to put it in a box and used a fork to slurp the delicious delight into my mouth.

The automatic doors of the beautiful glass building opened up for me, and the minute I looked up from my food I was aware of Mr. Vanderbilt walking straight towards me and it happened to be too late to divert my direction.

I pretended to be engrossed in my food, but even my impeccable acting skills weren't enough for him to walk past me unnoticed.

'Miss Freya.' He smirked, his expression was slightly chilly and I was happy to assume that things didn't go his way.

'Mr. Vanderbilt!' I chirped, taking another bite of the noodles.

'How is your arse? I hope it's bot bruised from the fall.' I felt embarrassment creeping into my heart.

He was the worst person I had ever encountered.

'My arse is perfectly fine, but I can't say the same for your suit.' I looked at the tailored suit that I admired on his body before and raised my fork to throw a small amount(because wasting too much good couldn't be too good for my stomach) but as it literally sailed through the air, Mr. Vanderbilt side stepped it and it landed on the white floor below.

'Horrible aim, I suggest you come with me someday to learn how to do it the proper way.' He walked past me and sent me stumbling side ways with a slight nudge.

The people at the reception gave me pitiful and shocked glances, and honestly, to me it felt like Deja vú.

________*________

A/N: I felt like adding a dragged 'Burn' on Dimitri's response, but that would be unprofessional of his associates, would it not? XD

Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow,
Make my readers say more hello!
(P.s. I'm lame like that, just ignore it^)

Read, vote and comment maybe? :)