Chapter Thirty-One

Sam's P.O.V

"So the last time that you had seen Matt was four years ago when he was getting arrested?" Jenna's eyes are wide.

She grew up around Matt, seeing him as a friend and role model. I can't imagine how confronting it would be to have that mental picture shattered.

"Yeah," I tell her, "he was going to be charged for destruction of property and public disturbance but from what I heard, my boss let him and Dylan off"

"That's fortunate" Jenna starts, "God how could Anna keep this from me?"

"Well if it's any consolation, I don't think that your brother knew either" I admit, "besides I don't think that anyone liked talking about me after I left...unless it was to smear my name"

"All you did was try and make a better life for yourself and if they don't get that than they are the ones in the wrong not you" Jenna defends.

"Thanks" I half-smile.

"What ended up happening to Andrea?"

I look down at my tapping fingers, thinking about my best friend. Andrea and I would have never have met if I didn't bend the bars of the cage that my father trapped me in and used my wings for the first time to escape his hold.

"She met someone, his name is Nate George and he loves her...the two are gonna get married someday, I just know it" I admit with a grin.

Suddenly, the venue fills with a loud dinging noise. I look up to find the best man, tapping the back of a knife against his glass. Everyone returns to their seats and directs their attention towards Fred's younger brother, Scott.

Scott's speech is simple. He begins by introducing himself while standing in front of the crowd, on the stage beside the band. He goes on to tell embarrassing stories then says how much he loves Anna for Fred. The speech finishes by Scott asking everyone to raise a glass to Anna and Fred.

"To Anna and Fred" Scott lifts his champagne glass, "may their future be filled with nothing but happiness"

While everyone follows his actions and sips their champagne, I look away and my body fills with sadness. Everyone in this room has watched Anna and Fred's relationship bloom into something special. Who am I to them? I'm that girl Anna knew from high school? That girl no one has seen for years? Or perhaps just the bar manager? Why the hell am I here as a guest when I should be the help? Or maybe I shouldn't be here at all.

Jenna meets my gaze when I slowly stand up.

"Where are you going?" She asks in concern.

"Ladies room" I answer before leaving her sight.

That's when I see Henry, his wife Carol and my nephew Gabe who is now five years old. I smile. They're the only blood family I have that don't hate me right now.

Carol greets me with a hug and says "hi Sam,"

When she pulls always, Henry wraps his arms around me.

"Good, you made it" I feel him smiling, "are you enjoying yourself?"

"Not really" I shrug as he pulls away.

"Don't you like weddings?" Little Gabe looks up at me as I pull away from Henry.

"Of course I do, my prince" I hug my nephew gently. "I just...I don't like seeing people from back home"

I hold his little body close to my own. He gives my favourite hugs as they are just like Diana's used to be. Gabe and my sister are alike in more ways than I ever thought two people could be.