Chapter Ten

Matt's P.O.V

"So if you hit her after one fight, what happened after the next one?" Daniel folds his arms.

"I didn't touch her again, Daniel" I assure.

"So what did happen?" Ashley asks.

It was 10:30 pm when I dropped Sam off at her home. Her parents didn't know about us so Sam had always asked me to park a few houses away from her house so her parents wouldn't see.

"Bye Matty" she blew me a kiss goodbye.

"Good night" I smiled before driving off.

When I got home my stepfather and my mum were eating dinner at the kitchen table.

"Where have you been?" My stepfather Michael asked.

"What's it to you?" I retorted, walking over to the kitchen stove.

I stirred the Vegetable soup that I had made before picking up Sam. My mum sat with a white bandage taped around her bald head.

I kissed her soft cheek than walked to my bedroom.

Michael and I didn't have the greatest relationship. I treated him like shit and made sure to return the favour.

I slammed the door to my bedroom shut and laid down across my bed. My room ceiling was the night sky, it was black with a bunch of stars scattered everywhere.

I laid there meditating for a while. My head began spinning with uncontrollable thoughts of worry about Sam and my mum.

Knock knock

My head snaps in the direction of the now open door. My mum stood there weak and pale.

"I went to three different rooms until I found this one" my mum smiled, entering my room with a walking stick and her light blue striped pyjama bottoms and a white tank top.

"That's not a good thing, mum" I sighed, sitting up and walking towards her, I picked her up, my left hand on her back and her right hand under her knees.

I carried her to my bed where she laid down next to me and we looked up at my ceiling that was covered in wallpaper.

"How's Philip?" My mother asked softly.

His name spikes anger inside me. She's been asking about him more and more lately. It's something that I have to get used to.

"Mr Clifford is the same man he's always been" I sigh heavily.

"And Sam?"

"She's great," I told her honestly, "I just can't shake the feeling that she's got a past"

"Doesn't everyone?" Mum retorted.

"Yeah but..." I trailed off. "I have a feeling that something is going on at home with her parents...She's mentioned a couple of times that they're controlling...They might be abusive...I just want to help her, you know?"

"You can't save everyone, Matty" she signed.

"I can try," I told her.

There was a moment of silence as she squeezed my hand.

"Philip called me and said that you..." She trailed off, "that you have been...getting a lot of detentions...talking back to teachers...getting into fights... are you still hassling him in math?"

"Well, I'm not in his class any more so..." I announced.

Mr Clifford must have forgotten to mention that part.