Chapter 5

------------

The meeting had been completely useless. The four Alphas argued nonstop. Carson suggested putting a team together to look for the rogues but Terrance was in an uproar over having wolves from other packs on his land. Michaels, who had yet, to have a visit from the rogues was reluctant to get involved. After an hour Terrance and his betas stormed out as usual. Without Terrance the three remaining Alphas decided to keep each other notified and retired for the day.

On his way out Xavier's wolf began to bristle. Something was wrong but it wasn't until he exited the building that he saw the problem. Eva stood before his mate shielding her from Terrance and his men. Rushing to her, Xavier wrapped his arm around her and pulled her into him.

"Watch them!" he signaled to Derek and Tomas as they fanned out behind the other pack.

"I guess we will see you later Terrance," he said coldly.

"Until next time," Terrance answered darkly. Terrance left taking his men with them. It wasn't until they had turned on to another street that he loosened his grip.

"Did I miss something?" Jordan asked looking up at Xavier curiously.

"They are just business associates."

"Sure," Jordan said with an eyebrow raised in disbelief.

"It's nothing really. We just don't exactly see eye to eye. But we can't always choose who we work with."

"Okay," Jordan said letting the issue drop for now. "Well, Eva and I had a marvelous time together," she smiled over at Eva who had visibly relaxed.

"That's . . .good" Xavier said hesitantly looking at the two women. He couldn't believe he had just found his mate and he was already losing her to his other friends.

"Are you ready for lunch?"

"Yea let's go." Xavier's heart skipped a beat when he saw Jordan's bright smile. Jordan waved warmly, "It was nice to meet all of you."

"Of course," Derek said grinning and making a sweeping bow. Tomas punched Derek playfully.

"The pleasure was all ours. Don't forget you have to teach me how to pick pockets."

"No problem"

"I'm glad we got to know each other. By the way, Friday we are having a barbeque. You should come!"

"What are you doing?" Xavier asked Eva silently through their pack bond.

"Just making sure she sticks around. I like her. We can't have you scaring her off." Eva sent back innocently.

"That sounds fun."

"Good Xavier will give you the details. You two have a wonderful lunch."

Xavier heaved a sigh of relief when he was in the car next to Jordan. He looked over at her as she settled in putting on her seatbelt. He couldn't get over how beautiful she was. He still couldn't believe the goddess Luna gave him such an incredible mate.

"You are so beautiful," he whispered.

"You look pretty fine yourself," she smiled checking him out. "Now where are we going to eat?"

"I have a place in mind."

Xavier and Jordan went out every day that week. Xavier put off work and spent every waking hour as close his mate as possible watching from the shadows. When she was working he watched her through the window from a distance. When she was on break he followed her to the table at the café where she had eaten that first day. Jordan had no idea just how close Xavier was but she couldn't get over the sense that she felt safer every moment in this city than she had anywhere else in her life. Her mind tried to tell her that this wasn't normal, that something was wrong. But Jordan had found that it was getting easier to close off those negative thoughts.