Steal My Heart

A/N: So I want to thank all my readers new and old. I'm sorry for the long wait. I have updated my story a little. So please enjoy and comment freely!!!

_______________

She looked inconspicuous as she walked through the crowded streets with her hoodie pulled up over her long chocolate brown hair, hands stuffed in her pockets. There was a festival occurring covering the streets with loud people, brilliant colors, and various street vendors selling their wares. Each vendor would push their merchandise in your face pretending to give you a good price on worthless goods.

But she wasn't there for the vendors she was discreetly watching the customers looking out for an easy mark. She was an excellent pickpocket. She could reach her hand in the inner jacket pocket of the most attentive cop and be half a mile away with their badge, wallet, and gun before they knew anything was missing. She didn't steal for a living but sometimes she needed the cash. Finding a job in this city proved to be more difficult than usual. Usually, a small hole in the wall diner or club could always use her waitressing skills. She didn't know where she was going to sleep tonight which was typical and also why she happened to be scouting potential mark. Sleeping in the park was getting dangerous. As warmer summer weather emerged so did the creeps and while she could take care of herself she didn't want to keep dozing with one eye open in this new city.

She was pretty much a gypsy moving from place to place on her own. She had no family and no roots holding her down so she moved constantly. She was convinced that one day she would find a place where she would instantly feel at home. It was a silly dream but it was the last one she held on to. She knew dreams didn't come true but when she closed her eyes at night finding that perfect place to call home seemed almost attainable. And something about this city seemed almost right.

So as she looked for her marks she made sure to choose ones that would provide enough cash to find a room to stay in while she continued her search for legitimate work. She examined the crowd through her dark lashes and finally found a good mark. She knew he would have a good amount of cash on him not only because of the fine, luxurious suit he wore with his serious expression but the men who were following him. They were watching and guarding him at a short distance. While most people wouldn't notice them she had developed a keen sense for watching and evaluating people. She briefly wondered why the man warranted a 3 man body guard team but she wiped it from her mind as she prepared to swipe his undoubtedly thick wallet.

She pulled down her hood and unzipped her sweatshirt to perfect her façade. Blending in was the key to her pick pocketing. She needed to be causal but still with a bit of apprehension that all individuals had in a large crowd. The more blended she could be the less likely his guards would perceive her as a threat and the closer she could get to the mark. She began clutching her bag and looking around cautiously. Assuming her role she eased up to the well dressed man and brushed up against him while looking in her bag. As she reached into his bulging pocket to retrieve his wallet she felt his skin brush her hand and she paused. A tingle caressed her hand and shocked her. With her hand in his pocket she lifted her eyes to meet his. Her brown eyes met brilliant green orbs set in the most beautiful face she had ever seen. His soft tanned skin seemed to melt over the strong masculine lines of his jaw and cheekbones. His full lips parted in a small smile. His glossy black hair fell to his shoulders while framing his face beautifully. In that brief moment his eyes seemed to bore into her soul and she had a dazzling vision of the sun shining through the leaves of the forest and kissing the forest floor. In her peripheral vision she noticed his hand coming up to caress her face and it brought her back to reality. She snatched the wallet out of his pocket, glanced around to locate and evade the green-eyed man's bodyguards and dashed off. She had her prize but the striking smile on the man's face was already etched into her mind.