Steal My Heart: Chapter 2

_____

The four Alphas sat around the mahogany conference table, their betas standing arms crossed behind their respective Alphas. Xavier was quickly losing patience with Alpha Dean Terrence. They had been in this meeting for hours because of his bogus accusations. All Xavier could think about was finding his mate. He never thought he would have a mate and now, when she was so close, Terrence was keeping them needlessly occupied. Xavier's wolf had enough.

Springing out of his chair, claws extending, Xavier exploded. "I will not have you making false accusations about my pack Terrence."

"I will not have your packs encroaching on my territory. You get your members to stay on your land or I will deal with them,"

"Don't you dare threaten my pack. They know our territory lines and obey my law." The glow of his emerald eyes indicated Xavier's imminent change.

"Calm down son," Isaiah Carson placed a soothing hand on Xavier's arm. Carson was known for his jovial and relaxed approach to leadership. As the oldest and most experienced Alpha in the room he had dealt with many inter-pack disputes. He knew he just needed to keep everyone calm. When Xavier became Alpha, Carson had become a wise mentor. Overtime they had developed a close friendship. So when Carson spoke Xavier gave Terrence one last menacing glance and sat down.

"Now, Terrence, are you sure these trespassers aren't new rogue wolves? Do you have any evidence, proof, or specific names we could look into which point to one of our packs?" Carson asked coolly.

Red faced, Terrance hesitated. "Well no. But that doesn't mean it's not happening. I know –"

"In that case" Alpha Stephen Michaels interrupted "I will be leaving. I have many other matters to take care of today. Call me when you have proof Terrence." Michaels had been silent most of the meeting. He often took a neutral stance on inter-pack issues and only attended to determine if there was any threat to his pack. Standing and motioning to his betas, he walked to the door. Before exiting Michaels turned and nodded to the other Alphas. "By the goddess of our sacred moon I bid you all good day," then he and his betas strolled out, the door closing softly behind them.

"I will not be ignored," Terrence raged. "Be warned I will have no mercy on any of your pack members who wonder onto my territory." He stormed out the door his betas on his heels.

"So, my boy," Carson turned smiling at Xavier, "when do I meet the girl?" Xavier's betas began to chuckle while Carson's looked at the group confused.

"Girl, my friend? I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about," Xavier denied staring daggers at his betas.

"Son, you have been absentmindedly glancing out that window this entire meeting. You are never absentminded even in your youth you were dreadfully focused. Not to mention you've never lost control of your wolf before. Now there is only one thing that could disrupt a man of your bizarre attention and control; a beautiful woman! Am I right Derek?"

"Actually yes!" Derek said laughing "He just ran into her in the street where she managed to steal his wallet. His face was priceless. I. . ." Derek swallowed the rest of his words and fought a smile at the irritated look he received from his Alpha and best friend.

"Yes, well. I must find her now. If you don't mind my friend, her trail is getting cold with every second we waste." Exasperated Xavier stood up from the table.

"Of course son. Go on then. Find your dear mate with my blessing and don't forget to invite me to the celebration."

"I'd never forget you friend." With that Xavier waved and exited the building his nose in the air searching for the scent of warmed honey and roses.