Chapter 1: Magnet

Whispers in the Dark

Chapter 1: Magnet

Inspired by the song "Calalini" by Kaai Yuki.

"Get away from me!" I scream hoarsely as my hands slam against my ears as if they'll stop the echoing voices that drown my head like a heavy fog. Gritting my teeth, I attempt to calm my breathing down to a safe, steady pace, but no matter how hard I try my breathing keeps skittering - keeps coming out in small, fast inhales and exhales - much like how I flinch when another voice demands me to do a selfish act.

Grabbing the nearest object closest to me, I pound it down to the tiled floor of the bathroom. A shattering sound pierces the thin air. I can feel taps of glass flick against my bare feet. Glancing slightly at the glass that is now in millions of pieces painted all over the tiled floor, I can see a faint hint of his bare foot next to the shattered toothbrush holder.

My eyes tightly shut close once again as I rapidly shake my head forcing my long teal hair to flip around me - to flip against him. "Go away! Go away! Go away!" I yell at him, but he remains silent and still. I can feel his cold, piercing stare stab against the back of my neck. Flinching again, I can feel myself tremble as goosebumps crawl all over my body. "What do you want?!" I yell in a command for him to answer me.

Instead of replying, he allows more threatening voices to fill inside my mind - allows them to drown me in misery and insanity. It's as if he is holding a water bottle just above my head, and when he takes off the cap, he lets the icy water fall straight onto me without hesitation. It's as if he is the one controlling how far my sanity can go.

Giving up on trying to make him vanish for even a minute, I haul over myself and allow the fresh sting of warm tears to fall out of my eyes and drip onto the ground - the small drops of fear mixing in with the tiny bits of shattered glass as if they can blend together. After a few moments... everything stops. The voices stop screaming at me like I'm an animal, his cold stare seems to no longer exist, and my tears stop gushing out like a leakage. I slowly, hesitantly glance up at the boy - only to find that he is no longer standing by the sink, no longer standing by me, no longer by my side. Faintly smiling now that he's gone, I allow myself to lean against the wall and wipe away my tears of my trembling weakness.

Damn it, the one time my parents leave me alone...

Sighing with relief, I stand up and quickly stumble out of the bathroom - away from where he was standing only moments ago. Quickly making my way to the balcony, I burst through the doors and gulp in the chilling taste of fresh autumn air pleased that he forgot to lock all of the doors this time and keep me trapped inside of my own house like he did last month. It's as if he's playing a game, and I'm the main objective.

Being outside is the only place where he doesn't visit me... the only place I'm safe - at least until the brisk blanket of darkness covers the night sky anyway. I stare at the setting sun that blends into the horizon making the sky a soft, gentle pearly pink. I have maybe an hour left - just enough time for my parents to return from the hospital and to keep me company.

I haven't seen him in such a long time... both my parents and I thought that just maybe the handful of daily pills I usually take weren't needed any more - that I was finally over with the battle I have been fighting ever since young - that the doctor was wrong and my schizophrenia won't last my whole entire life like he said.

My hand digs deep into my jean's pocket hoping to hurry and find my phone so I can call my parents and inform them that my hallucinations hasn't stopped as we thought they did. Finding it empty, I quickly check my other pocket as my breath halts and my pulse pounds against my ears - but it's just as empty as the other.