I let out small sounds of agony as I felt something warm trickle between my fingers. Now, I was well concerned that I was bleeding to death.

I felt my body trying to repair the broken skin, merely progressing. The bleeding slowed each second, but I felt like a thousand knives penetrated through my skin. It was really excruciating, I felt as if I wanted to die—end all of the agony.

“Sapphire! Come back!”

I heard something skid against the crumbs of soil. Then, two hands gripped the either side of my face. “Please,” I heard a voice ring. It was so sweet and delicate to hear, but also too shaken and concerned. “Stay with me, Darren.” Her voice kept on cracking and breaking as she continued on her sentence. It was hoarse.

I forced my eyes open, struggling to keep my breathing normal as my heartbeat increased its pace. The sigh of hazel brown eyes with fiery red hair came to my view, slightly blurry. Gasping for air, I tried speaking, but I only managed to utter one word. “Sapphire.” I said, my eyelids dropping back close.

“Darren, don’t die. Don’t die on me now.” She pleaded. “I need you.” Her last words were very low spoken, but I was glad to hear them anyway. Her voice wasn't smooth, it was constantly rasping..

Although I can’t help but wonder—I felt shock cross me. Is she speaking? “You . . .” I breathed. “Speaking.”

“Yes, I am.” She replied. Even if she hasn't fully accustomed about getting her voice back, I'll never tire hearing from her. It was really shocking though, for the first time . . . I heard her talk.

“We should get him to the hospital!” Another voice came from a distance as footsteps pattered and headed to my location.

“No, the hospital would get suspicious. We need to get him back to the pack-house.” I recognized my mom’s voice.

“What about Zoe?” Rosy’s voice echoed in the background.

“This is her fight. We should not interfere.” My mother sighed as my head was lifted and placed into something comfortable. “Darren, please, honey. Stay alive. Someone’s coming here to get us.”

“Did you just speak?” It was Rosy. 

“I-I did,” It’s going to take me a while to get used to her voice.

“Bu—how?”

“We should mind that later, we need to get Darren some medical attention.”

I heard some metal clanking as I felt myself slowly slipping from consciousness. There was something that was pulling me into a dark abyss, something dark and deep that seemed endless. My body started going numb each passing second, though I could feel my wounds getting attended to.

“Stay with me,”

Her voice was the one keeping me awake. But the pain was unbearable, very agonizing that every fiber of my being was telling me to let go, get some rest. And with the last agonizing sting, I felt my world go black.

“Sapphire,” I breathed, slightly shivering. The cold weather appeared to have penetrated through me. Despite of how warm we wolves are. Because of the wound, maybe.

“No,” she pleaded. “Stay awake for me, please.” Her voice was rough. She sounded like she caught a cold. I can’t really blame her—first time speaking from the past years. She really needs to get used to speaking again.

I heard squawks echo in the background as I felt myself uncontrollably drifting off from consciousness.

-*-

Squawks rang in the air as the two Aves battled—not really. Zoe continuously attacked her mate, but Adrian dodged all of her blows. That means, as Zoe gave all her might and courage to hit her own other-half, all he did was evade her strikes.

“Are you too afraid to fight your own mate?” She taunted, sending her messages through the mental link they shared.

Zoe eventually got tired and stopped. She looked at Adrian with a fierce glare. “Why did you leave me?” His voice sounded betrayed and hurt.

“I’m sick and tired of all those things you said from the past days we’ve been together—nothing but revenge! Why can’t you just think about the future we have ahead of us instead of living in the past! You’re father isn’t here for you, Adrian! I am—all this people around you are depending on you for their safety.”

“His father killed my father!” He mentally shouted back.

“I know he did! But you can’t accuse!” She said. “Look around you Adrian.” She told him with a pleading voice. For a minute, Adrian hesitated to believe a tear fell from her bird-like eyes. “Look how much danger and destruction you brought.”

“For the record,” He snapped. “I would’ve let them go if you did not go with them!”

“And I shouldn’t have gone with them if it weren’t for your corrupted mind!” She opposed. “I thought you’d learn a lesson if I leave you. I thought that being with them will make you realize they bring no harm, but sought only peace.”

“If they want peace they couldn’t have killed my father!”

“Is that what’s all in your mind?” Her response was low and on the verge of tears. Adrian himself calm down as their environment went quiet. The only sounds they hear are the constant flapping of heavy wings and the gentle blow of the wind from the height they’re currently flying in. “Adrian, can’t you see? You’re father’s gone. I know he loved you. But you’re living the same life as Sapphire is in. She never got over her parent’s death and the consequences? She lost her voice and she despises the day of her birth because that’s the day when her parents passed away.”

Adrian contemplated for a moment. He analyzed what his mate had said.

Seeming that her speech did not work, Zoe continued to pursue. “Adrian, many people have been harmed. Your violence won’t get you anywhere. We can deem this situation through the rightful way—justice. Justice, Adrian. You can lock Darren’s father in a high-security imprisonment for all I care. But many people had been really affected because of your actions. You need to put all of this to end and bring the peace existing between werewolves and Aves. If not for me, do it for yourself—do it for your flock.”

Adrian felt afraid to admit his mistake. He did not speak. Instead, he kept quiet in his position and half-way shifted into his human form. His wings continued to flap behind him, keeping him afloat and Zoe did the same.

“Adrian,” Zoe’s voice called.

“Zoe . . . Zoe I’m so sorry.” His head dropped in shame.

Zoe moved close to him and pulled him into a hug. He reluctantly wrapped his arms around her. From that point, he hadn’t realized how much he missed the way she felt being inside his arms. He was so preoccupied by his anger that he had not noticed the people that surrounded him. And like Sapphire, he did not recognize the presence and how hard they tried restoring the happiness that his father had once brought to him.

“It’s okay, Adrian.” Zoe told him as they pulled away. “You shouldn’t apologize to me. You should apologize to Darren and his family for your acts.” She whispered. “We can all set this in a proper way.”

“I was so . . . incompetent. I didn’t know I was hurting you. Why hadn’t I realize this before? I’m so stupid.”

“It isn’t entirely your fault. But you do have a big part in this. You should make things right before it goes any worse. I’ll be right here,” She reassured him. “With you.”

With that, the two shared a passionate kiss. Under the snowing blizzard.