Chapter Twenty-Eight & Twenty-Nine, Sisters in Love

Danica leaned over the kitchen counter, watching Blake eat breakfast. She couldn’t believe how much her life had changed and how freeing it was to allow herself to live outside the shadow of her profession. So what if people talked? Who would know he was her client, anyway? As she mulled it over, she realized that she’d already made her decision. What she felt was love—thick, unavoidable, spectacular love. She was going to relinquish her therapy license and find a way to open the youth center she’d always dreamed of. It was time to stop living how other people wanted her to, and, instead, live the life that would make her the happiest. Looking at Blake, she knew she’d made the right decision.

“Aren’t you gonna eat anything?” Blake stood and went to her. He wrapped his arms around her and whispered in Danica’s ear. “Dr. Snow, I think I might need a private session.”

She placed her hand on his unshaven cheek. “I’m not going to be Dr. Snow for much longer. I’ve decided to open the youth center I’ve always dreamed of.”

“And leave the safety net you’ve spent so many years constructing?” Blake asked.

“Look at you, all attune to someone else’s issues. You must have had a very good therapist.” Danica pressed her hips in to his. “It’s not just the right thing to do. It’s what I want to do. I’ve just never had the courage to let myself move in that direction before.” She kissed his cheek. “See, you’ve helped me grow as much as I’ve helped you. Oh gosh. I have to go meet Michelle.” 

He kissed her softly, pressing his hips in to hers. “I would never interfere with your plans. Michelle is lucky to have you in her life, and the youths of Allure will be equally as lucky.” 

Blake and Danica had stayed up half of the night talking about Kaylie and what it had been like for Danica, living in her shadow. While she reminisced, she realized that she hadn’t been living in Kaylie’s shadow at all. She was living right beside her, but always with a watchful eye and a modicum of jealousy wrapped in worry. She told Blake about Michelle’s mother and how hurt Michelle was over the lies about the father she never knew. Blake had turned to her with an earnest look in his eyes and said, “I will never lie to you. I’ve seen the wake of hurt Dave left behind, and I’d rather face an argument than ever have you feel like you weren’t the most important thing in my life.”

I love you crossed her mind, but not her lips. Baby steps.

“So, what should I do when I need advice? Make an appointment? Leave you a note? Call you Doc?” He laughed.

“Hmm. I’ll have to see if I can fit you in around the kids’ schedules, I suppose.” She laughed. “How about just saying, ‘I need a little advice’?”

“Sounds good to me. Did I tell you that Sally called me? She said that Rusty agreed to talk to someone with her, a counselor.”

“That’s great news. Maybe he can even spend time at the new youth center when it’s open.” Danica knew the road ahead for Dave’s family—families—would be a long one.

“Yeah. It’s a start, anyway. Oh, and I’m taking Rusty next weekend. Maybe we can bring Michelle and all go to a movie.” He lifted his eyebrows.

“Listen to you. A matchmaker.”

“No. I was selfishly thinking of necking in the back of the theater.” He laughed, then looked at the clock and gulped down his last sip of coffee. “I have to get to AcroSki. I’m interviewing a part-timer today to take over a few of the administrative things Dave had been in charge of. Are we driving to the wedding together?”