Chapter Seven, Sisters in Love

Chapter Seven

Blake watched Danica walk away and took another swig of his beer. She was feisty, with a killer body and the sexiest hair he’d ever seen. There weren’t many women who walked away from him. In fact, he couldn’t remember the last one who had. He watched her huddled with the other women at the table. He longed to touch her wild, unkempt hair, to slide his hand under that mass of curls and touch the hidden skin beneath. Why was he so drawn to someone who clearly did not like him?

“I would love to go with you sometime. Skiing, I mean. Maybe you could teach me how to do some of those tricks.”

He turned back to Kaylie. The thought of hitting the slopes so soon after Dave’s death turned his stomach. Dave. Blake closed his eyes for a minute, remembering Dave’s anger as he’d stomped away. He couldn’t believe he was really gone, and he didn’t want to think about it now. It hurt too much. He snuck another glimpse at Danica. He needed something to keep his mind off of Dave’s death, but Kaylie wasn’t the answer. She was too sweet, too easy.

“I’m free this weekend. I mean, if you’re going.”

She was practically standing on top of him. Her straight, blond hair flowed like silk across her shoulders, a few manufactured curls spread throughout. He looked around the crowded bar and counted at least four guys staring at her. The competitive side of him reared up even though he wasn’t sure he wanted her for himself. He gently touched her upper arm, staking claim, and at the same time, he glanced over at one of the men. The man immediately looked away. As he drew his eyes back to Kaylie, he skimmed the table where Danica sat nursing another drink.

Danica turned around. Their eyes locked. She squinted at him, not a friendly squint, more of a how-dare-you squint.

She turned away.

He realized he was still holding Kaylie’s arm. He dropped his hand and said, “I’m not going skiing anytime soon.” I have to get out of here.

“Well, we could still get together. I’m sure you have other tricks you could share with me,” Kaylie said with a playful smirk.

Blake remembered his reflection in the mirror after the quickie with the redhead. He hadn’t liked what he’d seen, and now, with the loss of his best friend, which he was desperately trying to forget for just a few more hours, the last thing he wanted was to be sexy and coy. He’d come to the bar on the prowl for an outlet, and Danica and this friend of hers were messing with his mojo.

He set his sights on Danica and chugged the rest of his beer, held it up toward the bartender, then sucked down half of the new one in one gulp. He felt caught between what would be the right thing to do—go home and mourn his friend—and the way his body was betraying him. He didn’t want to be the guy who had meaningless sex with any beautiful and willing woman anymore, but his body was aching for the familiar release. With a woman in his arms, he could focus on the pleasure, maybe even turn his mind off completely, forget the pain of it all, and lose himself in the heat of the moment.

He eyed a blonde at the end of the bar. “Look, your friends are getting together. Why don’t you join them?” He walked away, leaving Kaylie to stare after him, her jaw hanging open. He raised his beer in the direction of the blonde and she waved him over.

Danica steeled herself against the edge of the booth so Marie could get past her and go to the ladies’ room. The floor swayed beneath her feet. Shit, she’d had a lot to drink.

Kaylie took the seat near where Danica stood and accepted a beer from the young, melon-boobed waitress. Kaylie’s face was pinched tight. Danica tried to read her angry eyes but had a hard time focusing.