Chapter Sixteen, Sisters in Love

Chapter Sixteen

Pounding on the front door drew Danica’s attention from the files she’d been reviewing.

“Danica!”

Kaylie. Danica opened the door and Kaylie flew past her in a rage. “I don’t know what the hell is up with that guy, but Jesus Christ, if he keeps doing what he’s doing, I’m gonna be the one on your couch.”

Danica watched her sister storm around the room and flop onto the couch, sending her files to the floor. “Who did what this time?” She picked up the files and set them on the coffee table in front of Kaylie.

“Blake. The jerk. Remember him, from the bar? Didn’t he call your practice, or come to see you or something?” Kaylie’s face was red and her eyes were glassy. The way she slouched on the couch in her wrinkled miniskirt, she looked like a sullen teenager wronged by the quarterback.

She’d forgotten that she mentioned she’d seen Blake. At least she hadn’t confirmed that he was her client—a fact she quickly decided was better left undisclosed. She skipped over Kaylie's question altogether. “Blake? As in Blake Carter? AcroSki? That jerk?” What the hell?

“Yeah, that jerk. I saw him at Bar None.” She turned scornful eyes on Danica. “Thanks for that, by the way. If you hadn’t stood me up, I probably wouldn’t be having such a shitty night.”

Danica picked up the files and placed Blake’s on the bottom of the stack, then set them on the dining room table and sat next to Kaylie.

She let out a long sigh. “Let me guess. He was at the bar, but he went home with someone else?” I knew today would set him back.

“Yes. No. Shit. He didn’t go home with someone else.” Kaylie covered her face and screamed into her palms. When she brought her hands away, her anger had turned to disappointment. “He acted like he wanted to go home with me, and—”

“Wait.” Danica stopped her. “What happened to Chad, or Chaz, or whatever his name was? Didn’t you just get back from a weekend away with him?”

“Don’t judge me, okay?”

Danica sat back against the pillows, reminding herself that Kaylie was her sister, not her client. “Fine. Go on.”

“Chaz and I had a good time, but since I was going to meet you anyway, I went in for a drink. He was there, and…Jesus, well, you saw him. You really expect me to turn away from him?”

You bet your ass, I do. He’s my client, even if he is challenging my ability to stay on the professional side of things.

She didn’t give Danica time to answer. “Anyway, we were getting up to leave, and he said some bullshit about how he couldn’t do it.”

“Did he say why?” What are you up to, Blake Carter?

“He just lost his business partner—he died, if you can believe that.”

“I can.”

“And he said he doesn’t know how to talk to the guy’s wife.”

Really? Danica made a mental note to explore Blake’s discomfort with Dave’s wife. She looked at the file and thought about telling Kaylie that Blake had become her client. That would end things right there. He’d be off the table immediately. Kaylie didn’t date guys who had anything to do with therapists. She assumed anyone who needed therapy was severely broken and weak. If only she knew how therapy could help her with her man-juggling habits—and that Blake was seeking help for the very same reasons. But she could not reveal that he was a client. Danica respected her client’s confidentiality, and Blake was no different, even if Kaylie had been hurt by him.