Chapter Twenty-Three, Sisters in Love

Sunday morning found Danica puffy-eyed and listless. She’d spent the night angry at herself, sexually frustrated, and worst of all, she knew she’d let down a client—a very hot client who also needed her help.

She went through her morning routine like an automaton, showering, dressing in her pre-finding-herself boring attire of black slacks and a gray, cashmere sweater. She gave up on her wild hair and left the house with what her mother might have called her sixties' Afro look. She didn’t give a damn. She’d lived her life carefully, always putting work and professionalism before her own needs, and she’d been proud of who she was. She’d thrown that all away in one night—over one goddamned kiss. Any way she looked at it, she was an idiot. Now her client was left to fend for himself—no, she’d find him another therapist. More importantly, she couldn’t help but wonder if she had walked away from the one man whom she might actually have been falling for. Thoughts of the way he’d jumped into changing his behavior, mostly on his own accord, flitted through her mind. His serious and sad eyes when he spoke of how he didn’t want to hurt anyone anymore bored into her. If she were truthful with herself and remembered the way he’d eyed the blonde, she’d tell herself what she might tell Kaylie about a guy like him: Get over him. Once a player, always a player. Despite knowing what was best, and what was dangerous, Danica still couldn’t stop thinking about him. Thank God she had Michelle to distract her today.

Danica was glad to see Nola back on her feet, pink-cheeked and bright-eyed, when she picked up Michelle. Michelle was dressed in her typical black attire, but when they stepped from the car and headed toward the bakery, Michelle pulled the multicolored scarf from her purse and wrapped it around her neck.

“I love that look on you,” Danica said.

“I feel funny wearing it around the kids at school, but I do love it. Thank you,” Michelle said.

They sat at their usual table by the window. Michelle ate her croissant and watched Danica pick at hers.

“Are you okay today?” Michelle asked.

Danica tried to smile, but felt her cheeks fall flat. “Yeah, just a little tired.” She was the Big Sister. Danica knew she’d better pull her act together, for Michelle’s sake.

A group of four teens burst through the door. Michelle cast a quick look at them, then cowered into her chair, expertly shaking her head so her hair fell over her cheek—a ready-made veil.

Danica took note of the effervescent teens, laughing and joking in the way kids did at that age—too loud and ignorant to notice or care about the stares of others. She watched Michelle take another quick glance at them. When they’d first begun going out for breakfast, Michelle had picked that particular bakery because she said no one from her school would go there. Now she sat with her shoulders hunched, tugging at one end of her scarf, slowly unwrapping it from around her neck. It was clasped between her hands when the tallest boy came and stood beside the table. His hair flopped trendily over his eyes, the rest at a shaggy-chic, ear level.

“I know you,” he said, not in an unkind way.

Danica watched silently, feeling the pain of Michelle’s embarrassment.

“Hey,” Michelle said without looking up.

“What’s up?” he said to Michelle, then turned toward Danica. “Hey, I’m Brad.” He waved, then put his hands in his sweatshirt pockets.

“Hi, Brad. I’m Danica, Michelle’s…friend.”

The boy stood there, a friendly smile plastered on his face. He looked from Michelle to his friends, then back at Michelle again.