Chapter Four, Sisters in Love

Chapter Four

Saturday evening the moon cast a foggy glow over the mountaintop. The slopes looked like fluffy clouds that had fallen to the ground. Blake inhaled the icy, wet smell of the slopes. He loved night skiing, when the slopes were filled with more experienced skiers.

“You ready, buddy?” Dave asked as he skied into place next to Blake. He stood six inches shorter but was every bit as thick and muscular as Blake. A light snow began to fall.

“Yeah, I’m ready. Listen, I feel kind of guilty taking you away from your family.”

“No, you don’t.”

“Yeah.” Blake smiled. “I don’t.”

They both laughed.

“I’m glad you came. It’s been a month since we’ve hit the slopes.”

“I know. You remind me every day.” Dave raised an eyebrow. “No worries, man. I wouldn’t miss it for the world. Time goes quick. All this powder will be gone before we know it.”

“You could’ve brought Rusty if you wanted,” Blake said.

“Yeah, just what you need, a teenager hanging around. No way, man. This run is just for us. I need the break, too. Besides, Rusty has as much interest in skiing as I do in basketball. He’s a kid. He has the joy of picking and choosing his addictions.”

They took the ski lift to the top of the second tallest trail. By the time they reached the peak, the snow was coming down hard. Adrenaline rushed through Blake as they stepped from the lift and skied to the crest. He and Dave wore similar Arc’teryx Stingray jackets and Völkl pants, compliments of their suppliers. Dave’s were royal blue, and Blake wore black and red. Free clothing was just one of the many perks of owning a ski shop.

“I feel great tonight!” Dave said. The cold night's air was already turning his cheeks pink. He shielded his eyes from the falling snow with his gloved hand.

“I feel great every night,” Blake said. “Damn, it’s really coming down. Let’s take the first one easy, warm up.”

Dave’s cell phone rang.

“You brought that damn thing with you? I love Sally, but come on.” Blake really did love Sally, and the times he’d gotten together with Dave’s family had always been enjoyable—barbeques, dinners out on the town, the fair every summer —but he would never want to be that accessible to anyone. He considered his ski time sacred.

Dave took out his phone. “Wifey calls.” He held up one finger to Blake. “Hi, honey. Yeah, we made it. Yup, getting ready right now for our first run.” He paused, listening to Sally. “Put him on.” Dave turned his back, then spoke sternly into the phone. “Is what your mother said true? What the hell were you thinking?” Dave paced. “You listen to me. If I come home and—” He stopped walking. “Rusty? Hello? Hello!” He looked at his phone. “Damn it.” He shoved the phone in his pocket and, as he made his way through the thick curtain of snow that fell around them, Blake noticed him stabbing his poles into the ground and the fine lines forming around his pinched face.

“Everything okay?” Blake asked.

“Lost connection,” he snapped. “Goddamnit. You wouldn’t understand. Let’s just go.”

“Okay, if you’re sure.” The last thing Blake wanted to do was listen to the details of an argument. He was itching to get onto the slopes.

“I’m takin’ the back.” Dave’s breath came out in foggy huffs. He pulled his yellow goggles down over his eyes and turned away.