[17] A Warning From James

At an even pace, I walked out the front doors of the school building. The bell had rung just minutes before, and I had weaved my way through my animalistic classmates in record time.

          Jessica had tried to stop me, but I quickly maneuvered myself around her. I knew she wanted to talk to me about the date tonight, and I could do without her overly dramatic excitement.

          I spotted a familiar vehicle gleaming in the sunlight. A taut and muscled boy by the name of William Larkin reclined against the hood, lazily regarding me with his eyes. My feet hesitated while I debated whether or not I should ignore him. When he beckoned with his fingers for me to go to him, I realized there was no point in disregarding his attempts at talking with me.

          “What do you want?” I asked once I approached him.

          “You sure are irritable when you get out of school,” he noted, flipping his sunglasses off of his eyes and onto the top of his head.

          I stared dully at him, awaiting the answer to my question.

          “Right, right. You get my text message yesterday?” William asked.

          “My friend Jessica was the one texting you. But yes.”

          “I figured. You don’t seem to be the type to use hearts after all of your responses,” he snorted.

          I stared, mortified, at his chuckling face. 

          “How’d you get my number anyways?” I demanded, crossing my arms over my chest.

William shrugged. “Ruth.”

“Anyways, Johnny and I are hanging out someplace, and he wants you to tag along,” William scratched his ear as he said this, cocking his head to the side.

          “Sounds great,” I smiled, ignoring how he said it. Almost begrudgingly.

          “Good, get in the car.”

          “Wait –“ My date tonight suddenly dawned on me, “I’m sorry. I can’t. I already have plans.”

          “What…hot date?” William laughed.

          I experienced some sort of Deja-vu, considering Jessica had asked the same thing.

          When I didn’t respond right away, William narrowed his eyes like a cat. The dark cobalt color gleamed hazardously. “With who?”

          “I don’t see how it matters. Can’t we just reschedule?” I demanded, agitated with his tone.

          William’s lips pressed together and he tossed his keys up in the air and caught them in his left hand. “Right. Reschedule.” He slid off of the hood of the car, slapping his feet gracelessly against the pavement.

          “Wait, William!” I shouted, just as he got into his car and slammed the door.

          He pretended not to hear me as he reversed from the school parking lot, although I knew he heard the uneasiness in my voice crystal clear.

          His troubled face made me wonder what kind of plans he had in store for us three.

 ~* *~

          “You look great,” Jared smiled as I opened the door.

          My father stood closely behind me and I turned around to meet his stony gaze. “I’ll be back soon, trust me,” I whispered to him, earning a nod in response. He leveled his glare to Jared, eyeing him up.