[10] Relief

After that night, I vowed to never touch alcohol for the rest of my existence. The next day, my eyes were permanently closed shut and my head felt as if a sludge hammer was deciding to pound my skull.

          I woke up shirtless – and that’s what scared me the most. I was in my bra and jeans, but my tank top was missing. I was positive that I hadn’t gone off with anyone at the party, especially with the guidance of James. It was still confusing whether or not both of us were fighting still, but I would be shocked if he let me get whisked away by some high school boy.

          Instead of risking any further brain damage, I merely wrapped my blankets around my body and drifted back off to sleep. Though I was thoroughly curious why my shirt was not on my body. Where had it gone?

~ * *~

          Later that night, I yawned and got out of bed. My headache had subsided and I was only left with the dull throb. My body and mind were still exhausted, but I decided to do something productive like brushing my teeth. When I had finished that task, I checked my cell phone.

          Seventeen missed calls.

          My heartbeat began pounding and I stared at the screen with more concentration. Every single phone call was from Ruth.

          Before I called her back, I checked my text messages. There were eight in total.

         Ruth: Rachel, its 1 A.M. Any idea where William is?

         Ruth:  2 A.M. now. Any sign?

         Ruth: He hasn’t come home yet.

         Ruth: Please respond.

         Ruth: Is Will with you?!

         Ruth: I’m going to call you again.

         Ruth: Wait, I think he’s home now.

         Ruth: Oh, you’re both here. Drunk as ever, but alive.

          After reading the messages and listening to my voicemails, I let out a frustrated scream. I’d gotten drunk last night, became totally irresponsible, and drove home with William. We’d broken the law, I realized.

          My breathed in short and fast gulps. “Calm down,” a foggy hand touched my shoulder comfortingly. “Wait – Rachel, where’s your shirt?”

          I recognized the voice and touch as James’s. “I don’t know!” I wailed, covering my face in embarrassment. I used my arms to cover my chest, feeling extremely exposed.

          James had the decency to turn around and grab me a shirt from the broken remnants of my dresser. I remembered yesterday it had snapped in half out of nowhere. This caused me to growl in frustration and snatch the material out of James’s gentle grasp.

          “Thanks,” I smiled slightly at James’s embarrassed face. I slid the shirt on quickly and that’s when a thought hit me. “You’ve seen me naked before, haven’t you?”

          James’s expression went from slightly embarrassed to mortified in seconds. The blood rushed to his face and colored his cheeks brightly. My eyes widened in surprise. That was a ‘yes’.

          “James!” My jaw practically hit the floor.

          “I didn’t mean to!” he stammered, turning brighter by the second. “It was an accident!”