[4] New "Babysitting" Job

“James, James, James, James,” I yelled his name several times, waiting for him to appear in my bedroom.

          It would only be a matter of seconds…

          “Where’s the fire?” He asked, suddenly in front of me. I jumped back a little, flinching in surprise. I was expecting him, but it was a little unnerving how he materialized out of thin air.

          “There is none. I just need moral support right now,” I said, smiling innocently.

          “I need my beauty sleep, you know,” he sighed, faking exhaustion.

          “We both know that you don’t sleep,” I said, rolling my eyes.

          “Eh, whatever. Anyways, what do you want?” He asked, plopping himself down on my bed and reclining backwards against the wall. His arms stretched behind his head, providing a makeshift headrest.

          “I need to call this lady. I got a job.”

          “Oh, where? Fast food worker at Taco Bell?” James guessed hopefully.

          “What? No, why would you think that?” I asked him quizzically.

          “I sent in an application for you,” he shrugged.

          “…you what?”

          “Hey, is it such a crime that I’d want you to work there? We could sit all day and bask in the smell of tacos,” James responded, pulling the puppy dog look I always fell for.

          “No!” I screamed, covering my eyes with my hands. “Don’t look at me with that face! And yes, it is a crime, since you sent out an application without my permission. There has to be some law against that!”

          “What face would you prefer for me to look at you with? And too bad they can’t arrest me if you turn me in,” he winked, grinning.

          “Do you want to hear about my job offer or not?” I demanded. He nodded. “Then shut up,” I laughed. I could never win any of our silly ‘arguments’. He was just too clever!

          “Alright, so what fancy place did you get a job at? Street corners?” James asked, looking at me innocently.

          My mouth formed an ‘o’ as I stared at him in shock. It was a good thing we were best friends and he was a ghost; otherwise I would murder him. I flung the telephone in my hand at his face. It went right through him.

          “You’re forgetting that I can manipulate my body mass. So much that I can completely disappear. Remember? I’m a ghost,” James stated, a smile twitching on his lips.

          “Drop dead!”

          “Already did, hun!”

          “Gah!” I screamed in exasperation, giggling a little. This was a daily ritual between James and I. “Do you want to hear about this job or not? Or do I have to hire some sort of pope for this house to cleanse it of all ghosts? Specifically ones with the name James? I’ll banish you!”

          James gasped in mock-shock. “You wouldn’t.”

          “You’re right. I like you too much,” I sighed.

          “Alright, carry on then. What job are you considering?” James asked, hopping off of the bed. He walked over to my computer desk, curiously tinkering with the supplies on the surface.