[2] The Show

My eyes were glued to the large stage the entire time. Curtains hung limply on the ends and the wooden boards on the stage were polished to perfection. Spotlights were expertly positioned, beaming down on the bright faces of performers.

The acts all took my breath away. The first performance was a dance group with an impressive routine. It was break dancing, and it didn’t fail to amaze me. Their lithe footsteps made me laugh a bit as well, because I compared it to my own two left feet.

          Second was a freestyle rapper who, might I add, was fantastic. He wasn’t rapping about drugs, or money, or girls in derogatory forms, but was rapping about things that mattered in life. His voice was unique sounding, and was actually a little raspy.

          After him, there were a few singers that were also breathtaking. They all had different styles, and each of them astounded the audience. One was even a little girl, but she had the biggest voice I’d ever listened to in my life.

There were some less memorable performances, such as the stand up comics, but they weren’t terrible. I guess I just didn’t understand their sense of humor.

          Apparently the talent show started off with the ‘boring’ acts, because after those, the seemingly impossible acts started. It began with a nerdy looking teenager with glasses that uneasily walked onto the stage after the comedians.

          “Hey, everyone,” he said with a wave, pressing his glasses higher onto the bridge of his nose. I felt a little bad for him because the crowd already started booing. They seemed to think that he didn’t have anything interesting to show us. That intrigued me even further.

          A small smile made its way onto his face, and it was almost indecipherable. I was always superior at paying attention to details and noticing things that others didn’t, so I wasn’t surprised in the least that others didn’t detect it.

          “Well, once y’all are done with your rudeness, I’d like to show you my act,” he said, shaking his head in silent amusement.

          “Well get on with it!” Someone from the back of the audience slurred, earning drunken agreements. People were so wasted. I cringed at the thought of being drunk. Sure, I had drunk alcohol before, but there was nothing remotely appealing about it. I hated the idea of not being in control of myself. Jess says I’m uptight, but I prefer to think of myself as responsible.

          “Alright, then,” the nerdy looking guy replied, standing right in the middle of the stage. Two girls appeared on stage, sitting on top of motorcycles. Their thin bodies were clad in leather boots, jackets and mini jean shorts. There were a lot of wolf-whistles, and it was easy to tell by their expressions that the girls were used to it.

          “What the hell is this guy planning on doing?” Jess whispered to me, paying close attention to the stage.

          “Give him a chance,” I told her, giving her a disapproving side-glance.

          “Prepare yourselves. You’ll probably be surprised,” the kid from the stage said to everyone, spreading his arms out wide. His left foot was tapping excitedly and his fingers were bobbing back and forth. Both of the girls handed him thick pieces of rope, connected to the back of each motorcycle.

          Both girls mounted the motorcycles, turning them on and revving the engine. I had to admit, I was thrilled to see what this kid was going to do.

          The kid grabbed each piece of rope, stepping in the middle of both the motorcycles with each motorcycle faced away from him. “One…two…three!”