Heartbeat 2: That night...

Now, let's return to the present.

"... I realized that I don't like her anymore, so I told her that and then she slapped me."

I remembered what Umeru said during break. Really that guy, has he no shame? How can he confess to a girl that easily and then after a week or so tell her that he doesn't like her anymore? People aren't like old toys that you can just throw away whenever you feel like, you jerk!

*ding dong ding dong*

"Okay that's all for today, class."

Ahhh... What are you doing, me!? How can you be distracted like that during class? I heaved a soft sigh. Suddenly, someone's palm covered my eyes.

"U-Uwaah... W-Wai-- S-Setsu!" I cried.

"Hahaha!"

"You... How many times do I have to keep saying? Please stop doing that kind of thing."

He tapped the area between my eyebrows. "You're making that scary face again. Something wrong?"

A-Again? "N-No. Just lost in my own thoughts."

I didn't even got to pay attention to class... all because of that jerk.

"It's our shop's anniversary today. Wanna come over and celebrate with us?"

"Sorry. I have cram school later."

"Oh yeah. I forgot about that. Too bad. My mom's looking forward to seeing you. Well, can't help it."

"Sorry..."

Setsu's family owns a ramen shop. He's an only child so he's the only one to inherit the business. To tell you the truth, I really wanted to go since his mom always makes delicious foods, but I have to study and do my best or else... he wouldn't acknowledge me.

"Sora?"

"A-Ah. Then, I have to go. Tell auntie I'm really sorry!" I picked my bag and hurriedly went out of the room.

I am from a family of four -- my dad, two older brothers, and me. My mom died after giving birth to me. Both of my brothers are exemplary not only in studies, but also in sports and other aspects. My father manages a family business passed down from generation to generation. My family is known for its lineage of exceptional people... so I can't afford to fall behind.

"I'm home."

"Oh. Welcome back, Sora." It was Hikage-nii who answered, the eldest of us three brothers.

"Going out somewhere, nii-san?" I asked.

"Yeah. Father asked me to come with him to a dinner with a client," he replied. 

"Is that so?"

"Kagami still isn't home. About food, you can just reheat what's on the ref or eat out after your cram school. Then, I'm leaving."

"Be careful."

And the door behind me closed just like that. We don't have a housekeeper even though our house was pretty big than normal. My father once told us that we cannot become great people if we always have to depend on others. That's the story. I went to my room and flopped down on the bed. I let out a sigh. Why is everyday so boring? I grabbed a book from my side and read it. On the page that I opened, what I first read was: ...I found myself lost in my own thoughts. I can't stop thinking about him. My heart starts pounding whenever I do and then I long for him to look at me... to touch me... to kiss me...

...lost in my own thoughts... 

...can't stop thinking...

*close*

Gaaahhh! What is this kind of book doing here!? A note fluttered down from inside the book.

[Here's the book. You should start studying these kind of things. -Kagami] It read.

That's when I remembered asking Kagami-nii for something good to read the other night. So this is what he gave me? A-Anyway why did I remember that jerk's face? Stop, me! I cringed on my bed for a while and sighed. "I should just prepare for cram school."

I left to attend cram school. Just when I was on my way, on the alley I passed by...

*slap!*

"Jerk! The only thing that is good about you is your looks! Go ahead and die!"

N-No way... Don't tell me... Déjà vu? I looked to confirm who the other party was. Yes. It was Umeru. He's holding his cheek that got slapped. It looked like it really stung. Somehow, I felt bad about him, but I can't blame the lady he's with for doing that.

.

.

.

Wait... That's not someone from our school, right? O-Owww... I felt my chest tighten for a moment. What was that? Anyway, I shouldn't bother about this guy anymore or else, but...

"Hey, are you okay?" What? Shit. What are you doing, me!? Before I knew it, I already opened my mouth and talked to him.

"Sor--" he averted his eyes and answered, "Yeah..." 

Jerk.

"You know, you really should stop doing those kinds of things."

"...What kind of thing?"

"Playing with a girl's heart, isn't it obvious?"

"...can't."

"What?"

"I... can't."

"Huh? You can't? Why is that?"

"..."

The same, old keep-quiet-not-so-friendly treatment, huh? I sighed.

"Anyway, you should put some cold compress on your face or it'll leave a mark. Hah... What a waste it'll be for such a handsome face."

Urk.

Umeru looked at me in bewilderment. W-W-What d-did I just say? My cheeks became hot. "T-Then, I-I'll b-be on my way," I stuttered. I hurriedly turned my back away and hid my face in embarrassment. My heart was pounding again. Why? What is it? It's because of him again...

Suddenly, Umeru grabbed my arm and pushed me against the wall.

"Oww... Wha-- Umph--"

I felt something soft touch my lips.

"Wai--! Umph--!"

*clack*

My glasses fell as I tried resisting, but the warmth completely enveloped me. The strength all over my body left in an instant and I fell down on my knees. Even after that, he still continued.

"Uhmm..." I grabbed his sleeve and a shiver went down my spine. My mind went hazy and I don't know what to do. He let me off after a while. He was about to help me get up, but--

*smack*

I smacked his hand and hurriedly ran away. I don't know what kind of expression I wore at that time. Why does he have that look on his face? My heart won't stop pounding. This time, it was really hard. It feels as if it's going to come out of my chest.

"Hah... Hah... Hah... W-Why... What... the heck... just happened? Did he just... kiss me?"

That was my first! My mind's a complete mess.

I went into cram school after that, but it feels as if only my body was there. My ears seemed to reject every noise around me, even the things that the teacher was saying. That night, I was filled with confusion and I can't stop thinking... about him...