Part 6

As James and Lily headed down to the lake there was a sort of awkward silence between the two and it seemed as if neither of them knew how to remedy it. James however was the first one to try, "so Lils how was your summer?" he asked politely "oh it was very good, my family and I went to the states to visit my auntie in New York City." she replied giving into his small talk instead of complete silence "how was your summer James?" as soon as the words left her mouth James started prattling on about his holiday to the middle east with his family and Sirius. She was glad that the ice was finally broken and the awkward tension between the two was gone.

They picked a large shady tree right next to the lake shore and began looking through the pages of James' DADA book. They decided to take turns reading aloud and pointing out things they each thought would look interesting. Once in a while they would both go to turn the page at the same time and their hands would brush against each other lily would pull her hand away quickly and was surprised when James did the same. He seemed almost shy when he was with her now, but she was sure if any of his friends would show up at this exact moment he would perk up immediately. It went on this way for the rest of the free period them just sitting together talking about nothing much, James told Lily his plans for the quidditch team this year since he was captain again this year. Lily spoke of her feminist group and even got the okay from James to use their common room area as a meeting spot on Wednesday nights.

The bell chimed signaling that it was time to move on to the next class, but the time spent with James had been so pleasant that she found herself not wanting to leave oddly enough. "Hey James" she started out nervously "hey what" he answered

"would you mind if we hung out later tonight?"

"Like a date?"

"no just like this I thought it would be nice but never mind I guess" she said turning and walking away

"no wait I was just asking Lily I would love to hang out later please"

"okay then" she said smirking as she turned around "I'll see you in the common area at 7 for movie night then"

"I will most definitely be there"

With this Lily turned on her heel and walked back into the castle with a bounce in her step leaving James to wonder if he had really just progressed in his goal or if he had just sunken into the friendzone.