Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Rachel didn’t go to school that following morning. She stayed locked in her room with her face buried inside her pillow. She felt like the world’s biggest fool. Why had she told Jeremy all those things? Now he was never going to want her around again. She was getting used to being around him and ignoring her feelings, she needed to have him in her life and in one night she ruined all of it. She pondered her thoughts, desperately wanting to know why. Rachel always knew deep down Jeremy would never feel the same way, so again why tell him anything?  She promised nothing was going to affect their friendship again and in less than two weeks she was the one who screwed it up, again. Rachel wanted to wring her own throat.

She started to cry at the memory of his face after her bombshell. He looked mortified.

The front door slamming startled Rachel from her thoughts a little after noon. She got out of bed to investigate.

Her mother was just getting in. “Why aren’t you at school?”

“PMS. I thought you were in your room.” Rachel was amazed at her lack of perception. She would’ve sworn on a stack of bibles her mother was in her bedroom sleeping last night’s festivities away.

“I spent the night at Todd’s.” He was the latest boyfriend on her mother’s roster but unlike the others, the guy had an ounce of class. He hasn’t looked at Rachel funny once or made fun of her eccentric appearance. “There’s something we need to talk about.” Her mother said with a serious tone she rarely, if ever, used.

Dread filled Rachel from head to tippy toes. “I’m not going to like this, am I?” she winced while bracing for the answer.

“That depends—” A knock interrupted them. “Expecting anyone?” she stood the closest and reached for the door.

“Holy shit.” Rachel was shocked to see Mrs. Hansen standing on the other side. “It’s ok mom, let her in. That’s Jeremy’s mom. Mrs. H, this is my mom Sandra.”

Mrs. Hansen stepped inside, shook her mom’s hand quickly, and then looked Rachel in the eye. “I think we should talk about last night. Jeremy told me what happened.”

Sandra was lost. “What’s going on? Rachel, did you do something stupid again? I’m not paying for whatever trouble you caused.”

Rachel slapped her hand to her forehead. “It’s not like that. Mrs. H actually likes me and wouldn’t care if I broke her garden gnome. Mr. Hawkins was just a dick.”

“Then what’s the problem?” Sandra wasn’t letting it go.

Rachel thought of last night all over again and felt fresh tears burn her eyes. “I stupidly told Jeremy I have feelings for him and like you always tell me, no one could ever possibly want me. Happy now?”

Mrs. Hansen looked mortified. “You don’t actually tell her that, do you?”

“My kid, my problem. What are you doing here, lady?”

Mrs. H was gentle like a bite of sweet potato pie, until you got her angry. “She’s obviously upset and I thought she needed someone to talk to. It looks like I’m right. Rachel, I will be outside.”

Rachel made quick time following her. “I’m sorry about my mom.” She said as they stood outside the apartment building.

“You have nothing to be sorry for. If anything I’m the one who should apologize for pushing you to tell Jeremy the truth when you weren’t ready.”

“You weren’t holding a gun to my head. I didn’t plan it but it just came out along with a lot of other stuff. How did you know I wasn’t at school?”