Chapter 23

Chapter 23

If someone asked Rachel was the hell had gotten into her, she wouldn’t have an answer. Not one that many any sense. She kissed Jeremy like he kissed her all those weeks ago when they were nothing but friends. On one hand; she wanted to go back to those simpler times, and on the other hand; it was that kiss that changed it all. It was only fair she inflict one on him.

She was going to pull away and hightail it out of the house before she could see the horror on his face but...he was kissing her back.

Her hands came up to the sides of the face, his own hands rested on her hips and pulled her closer to his longer and leaner body.

Aww hell, this really shouldn’t be happening like this. Her skin was on fire with the passion infused in the kiss, tingling for something more she couldn’t pin point. Her once very dorky friend and mega nerd on a good day was turning her on. She felt sexy...wanted.

The kiss ended a short moment later. Neither of them moved from the other’s embrace, their foreheads rested against one another.

“Why did you do that?” Jeremy asked, dumbfounded.

“I...I can’t answer that.”

“Why not?”

“I just can’t.”

“Was it on a dare or something?”

“You know me better than that. I kissed you because I wanted to. Why’d you kiss me back?” it was so much easier to turn the tables back on him, than to figure out how to get out of this complicated mess.

Jeremy’s mouth parted and nothing came out but a sigh. “I don’t know.”

“That’s nice. I really should go, if it gets any later I should just head to school and wait for the doors to open.” It was nearing midnight. “Stop trying to over think it. It was just a kiss and your precious girlfriend will never have to know.” She managed to twist her body out of his arms and make it two steps out of the kitchen.

“Wait. Two days ago you told me you didn’t think Lisa was good enough and now you’re kissing me.”

Rachel silently cursed. Jeremy was a freaking genius, did she really think he’d forget about all her slip ups and believe her crappy explanations? “So?” she shrugged.

“So what does it all mean?”

“You tell me.” They stood face to face without much room between them. Meeting his blue eyes she found she didn’t want to convince him it all meant nothing. “You kissed me back and you got bent out of shape at the thought of me dating Jay for real. Are you jealous of him?”

Jeremy blinked rapidly from confusion. “What?”

Rachel wanted to scream. “It was a pretty straightforward question.”

“Yes, too straightforward.” He stepped back and ran a hand over his short brown hair. “I don’t like him for you.” He confessed, his voice tense and defiant. “Are you jealous of Lisa?”

Rachel threw her hands up in the air and proceeded to pace with loud stomping steps. She racked several answers back and forth throughout her mind. In the end she couldn’t find one to get him off her scent. “Yes! There, happy? I hate that mousey bitch and I hate that she gets this side of you that I can’t. This is fucking stupid.” She turned and met his eyes. “You don’t like my prospect of a boyfriend and I hate your girlfriend, shouldn’t we just say screw it and get together?” Mrs. Hansen was going to get her wish after all. At the end of the day, honesty prevailed.

Her words shouldn’t have come as a surprise, they had been tap dancing around the subject all night but nonetheless, Jeremy’s blue eyes grew to twice their size. “You don’t know what you’re saying.”

Rachel scoffed, walking over to the kitchen table to sit. “That could work when I was drunk but not stone cold sober. I know exactly what I’m saying Jeremy. Be a man and tell me you don’t want me, but don’t try to spin it like I’m confused.”

He gasped. “You remember? This whole time?” he spoke about her supposed drunken babble from the night of her birthday.

“Possibly.” That wasn’t something she wanted to rehash. “What does it matter?”

“It doesn’t, I guess. I just...I don’t know what to say.”

“It wouldn’t be the first time.” She smiled weakly with reflection. “I’m the big talker between us. I’m not going to ask you for an ultimatum, I want us to still be friends even with this drama hanging in the air. Geez, it feels like a soap opera.”

He was still stunned from the information overload she dumped. “Drama?”

“Do I have to write it in a letter for you to understand?”

“No, you don’t like me that way. It’s impossible.”

“How?” Rachel bit the word around a scoff of breath. She couldn’t believe the amount of denial her friend was experiencing.

“Hello! Look at me!”

Rachel sprung up from her seat. “Are you serious right now? There’s nothing wrong with you, except that you’re acting pretty dense. I really have to go. I’ll continue to call you an idiot tomorrow at school.” She needed to go before revealing any more of her soul. It was getting painful.

“Rach.” His voice was too painfully soft for her to ignore.

“Damn it.” She turned away from the back door and faced him again. “Just say whatever it is.”

He wore an expression of guilt and regret that damn near broke her heart. “Why didn’t you tell me sooner? Before I really fell for Lisa.”

“Why? Would it have changed anything?”

“I don’t know, maybe.”

“Well, it doesn’t matter then, does it? You have fallen for her and I’m just in the way. Do you get it now, Jeremy? Why I tried so hard to push you away and why I stayed away all this time?” Stupid, stubborn tears broke her command and fell down her cheeks. “I couldn’t tell you because I was trying to tell myself it wasn’t true. But,” Rachel walked over to the door and opened it. “I’m in love with you.” She kept walking and didn’t turn around.