Chapter 15

Chapter 15

That Monday it was time for school and like always Rachel was dragging her feet. Jeremy groaned as he waited for her outside on the porch. He had a test that morning and if he was late there’d be hell to pay.

Rachel bounced out of the front door two minutes later. With most girls it would probably be their outfit or makeup that kept them late, with his best friend the reason was food. She was holding on to a bagel and slice of bacon.

He said, “Do you know if you’re late for a test it’s automatic detention? I have a perfect record.”

“Relax. You’re record will stay perfect just like the rest of you.”

Jeremy rolled his eyes at her usual compliments. She was using them a lot more to plicate him when he dared express any dislike toward her actions. “Speaking of tests don’t you have one tomorrow on algebra we need to study for?” it was her failing subject and passing the test would be her last saving grace to pass the class. “We can study after dinner.”

“That sounds like a lot of fun but I have plans after school. You were too busy gushing on the phone with Lisa for me to tell you but I’m helping Jay at the gym again. He needs the help.”

“And you need to study. This test is a big deal.”

“You’ve been helping me with it for weeks now and I know it doesn’t seem like it but some of it stayed inside of my head. I’ll be fine and if you want we can go over the subject matter again when I get back.” 

“You got mad at me for this very same thing Saturday.”

Rachel stopped in her tracks and turned her hard stare onto him. “It’s not the same thing. We didn’t have prior plans and I made new ones without consulting you.”

“Why is this guy training for a fight more important than you passing your test?”

“It’s not.” She shrugged and started walking again. “Let’s get a move on it before we’re late and you blame me.” Her pace picked up as the school came into view.

“Why are you being so defensive?”

“I’m not!”

“Yes, you are.”

“Look,” she stopped and this time she didn’t look at him. “this guy is pretty nice and he doesn’t mind hanging out with me. If I have to get a new you I might as well stick with this guy.” She took off with rapid steps again before he could blink or comprehend her words.

“Wait, what do you mean a new me?”

“How can you be so smart and so stupid? Geez.”

“Rachel!” Jeremy ran to catch up with her again. His hand managed to grasp her hand before she could get away. “I thought after we talked and you hit me with that cupcake we were ok again.”

“Then you spent the next day talking to Lisa or about Lisa. I get you like her and I’m happy for you but I’m not dating the chick and I don’t want to have my whole world revolve around her. You can have her and I’ll just go find another best friend.”

That last sentence was the absolute most painful thing she had ever said to him. He felt like she punched him in the gut with that right hook she always raved about. “You don’t need another best friend. You have me.” Still gripping her hand he pulled her close and met her eyes, the depth of the bright green color she enhanced with dark makeup. “That’s never going to change.”

The bell rung and it snapped them both out of the moment. She pulled her wrist free and mumbled, “We can talk later.” She walked away not bothering to look back.