Ice Cream and Tour Guides

I walked back downstairs into the living room. The two other brothers were watching TV. "Where did my mom and sister go?" I asked glancing at Benjamin telling him with my eyes that he couldn't tell anyone about My secret.

"They needed to get a few things at the grocery store. Told us to make sure you didn't kill yourself. Whatever that means." Bastian said while channel surfing. My fingers itched to slap his gorgeous face. Whoa! Wait! Gorgeous?! I needed to straighten up and fly right! This jerk was not gorgeous!

"Back off Bastian!" Benjamin roared, which to me was a first and apparently a first for the other two brothers. Their eyes widened and Bastian was up and in Ben's face.

"What are you going to do about it!? What did this bitch tell you that made you so protective over her!? Huh? What do you know that we don't!"

"It's not my secret to tell. Just know that you should really back off. She's been through more than you can imagine." On that note Ben was grabbed my hand and dragged me into the kitchen. Shutting the door behind us he let out an angry scream before punching the wall.

Luckily, unlike in movies it didn't leave a large gapping hole in my grandmothers florescent green wall. "Don't waste your time being angry at him. How about I go take a shower and we'll go out, get ice cream, and sit in a park? Ice cream always made me feel better." I stated trying to get his mind off of his dirt bag of brothers. I mean it's not like Will did much. He just stood there ready to jump in between the two brothers.

Ben looked at me with his stormy grey eyes. He seemed to be trying to solve some sort of puzzle. Running his fingers through his hair and sighing, he finally answered. "Ice cream and fresh air sounds good." He said before turning his back to me and gripping the sides of the counter.

"What's bothering you Ben? You know you can tell me anything, right?" I asked placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. Here I went and dumped my problems on this sweet boy not even knowing the problems that he already had to deal with. Knowing me I probably added onto his plate of problems.

"You. You're my problem. How come after everything that's happened to you you're still strong for everyone else and don't loose your patience? Don't you ever get tired of having people judge you? Don't you ever just want to blurt out the truth to get them to leave you alone?" He asked turning to face me while running his fingers through his hair again.

I let out a laugh. "What, and have them pity me? 'Look at the weak little girl with all the problems.' I've received enough pity to last a lifetime. I'd rather have people hate me for no reason than have to deal with their looks and treating me like glass. Yeah, I've had a bad childhood, but life moves on, people forget about the poor little girl from that night. Time doesn't heal wounds, it only teaches you to learn how to live with them. Only death heals wounds." I said to him before walking out and heading upstairs.

I got the normal dirty looks from Bastian and a pity glance from Will. Two things that I didn't care about. I realized a long time ago that life was to short to hold grudges. You never know when your time is going to be up. So I try my hardest to not hate people.

For Bastian though, I'll make an exception. I thought silently.

I took a quick shower and then threw on my sweats and a regular tank before putting on minimal make-up and throwing my hair up in a messy bun. Slipping on my pink flip-flops I darted downstairs, grabbed Ben, waved goodbye to his brothers before they could ask questions, and darted out the door into the hot California air.

"Do you have a car or can we walk to the nearest ice cream parlor?" I asked blinking from the bright sunlight that I haven't seen in a while.

"We can walk, I need the fresh air." He said turning down the sidewalk towards what I assumed was the ice cream shop.

"So how old are you and your brothers. It's not like I know much about you. It weirdly feels like I do though." I said staring down at my feet and kicking a rock in order to avoid his stormy eyes.

He chuckled and took my hand in his swinging our joined hands between us like old kindergarten friends. "I know what you mean. It feels like I've known you for years too. Will is eighteen. Bastian and I are seventeen. What about you and Remy?" He asked and I looked up at him smiling glad that he felt the same way.

"I'm seventeen like you and Bastian. Remy on the other hand is only seven. She wouldn't understand much if we tried to explain it to her." I said looking back down at my feet.

"Remy may be to young to take all of this in, but don't think she wouldn't understand. You'd be surprised at what little kids today know." He stated as if he were reading it out of a text book.

"So have you lived here your whole life, or did you move here from another state?" I asked changing the subject to a lighter one.

"Nope, born and raised here. I know this town like the back of my hand. It's kind of hard having everyone here in your personal business, but that's just how small towns are." he said with pride.

"Well this is the first small town I've ever lived in. I guess you'll have to give me a tour to show me what this small town has to offer a big city girl like me." I said grinning at him.

He returned my grin. "Let the tour begin. Just one question before we start, do I get paid for being your tour guide?"

I punched his shoulder playfully. "Nope."

"Well what about we make it a date. I'll show you today the ice cream parlor and the park. Tomorrow I'll show you the nature, and so on and so forth. What do you say?" he asked shyly. Something told me this wasn't just a joke of his this was serious.

"I'd like that." I said just as we arrived to the ice cream parlor.

There was a group of girls sitting at a table and one of them smiled and waved suggestively at Benjamin. Then she watched me curiously. "That's Amanda, the school slut. You and her probably wouldn't get along. She claims to be going out with Bastian.

Another of the girls that was dressed as a stripper came up and clung to Ben's arm. "Hey babe who's your new friend?" The dark haired skank said giving me the evil eye.

"This is Hayden. She just moved here from Nevada. She'll probably be going to school with us this fall." He said looking at her as if she were the plague.

She nodded and then turned her back on me locking her lips with Ben's. I just rolled my eyes and walked up to the counter to buy my ice cream.

A really cute guy was standing there watching the table of sluts. He eyed them up hungrily and then he turned to me. His eyes widened. "Can I get a chocolate malt?" I asked pulling out a five.

The woman next to him immediately grabbed a cup leaving him standing there ready to talk to me. "So you new here? I haven't seen you around before." He asked. He was pretty cute with bright blue eyes and dark hair. He wasn't overly muscular, but more wired like a runner.

"Yep. Just moved here from Nevada." I stated not giving him the reason why and leaving him guessing.

"I get off in an hour I can give you a tour of the town if you want?" He said hopefully.

I glanced back at Benjamin, my personal tour guide. He was gone. He wasn't there anymore and neither was his car. He must have left with that skank. So much for a trust worthy friend. I turned back to ice cream boy and smiled. "Sure, I'm Hayden by the way." I said.

"Eric, it's nice to meet you." He replied shaking my hand before handing me my chocolatey good drink. I gave him my money and he returned my change. "Go wait by the back door. I'll be out in a minute." He said taking off his apron and walking to the back.

If that's how Benjamin wanted to be then two could play at his game. I could easily replace him as a tour guide.