How About Our Days

ENJOY

Like Red said, life is no joke. Some people spend it ruining others, some spend it keeping quiet, and some spend it screaming out the words we all need to hear. The three kinds of people in the world are unavoidable. No matter how much we want to stray from society, we'll all be apart of it; we'll be one of those three people. Me? Oh. I decide to keep quiet like the majority of the world. I'm an observer. A spectator. I stay behind the curtains.   

But I don't want to hide from the chaos. I want to be right in the middle with the ability to either end it or keep it going. I want to make a change. Somehow, some way, I want to make a change. For the better of course. Because I know that if I keep standing by, nodding my head when I'm supposed to, shaking my head when it's my duty to disapprove, I won't feel content with myself or the way I live. Like Red said, life is no joke. 

 3 hours earlier

I think Izaak wants me to pick a side. Let me rephrase. I think Izaak's parents are grilling him about grilling me about choosing a side. 

"Let's be Bonnie and Clyde." Izaak says fully convinced his conclusion is logical. 

"We basically already are. I shouldn't be here." I state popping a strawberry between my lips. "My parents think I'm picking your side." 

"There are no sides, Indie. This whole thing is a joke." He scoffs. I take a long look at him before leaning over to touch his bruised face. He winces in pain, but I don't let go. Somehow, observing the damage my father caused makes me want to choose sides. "It doesn't hurt."

"Yes it does." I sigh and sit back in my chair. As usual, Izaak's house whispers emptiness. We are the only two occupying the place even though we're in the smallest part of the kitchen facing each other. "How's your head?" 

"I had a minor concussion, babe. I've had worse from falling out of bed." Izaak laughs although I see no reason to joke. He notices this and sighs a hefty sigh, "Listen, my dad is a powerful man, but the last time I saw him go as far as threaten a close friend with a lawsuit was when he was off his meds. Last time I checked, he was perfectly on them. This is all a big threat."

 I lean forward in disbelief, "My father punched you. How is that not resonating?" 

"It's resonating perfectly clear every time I blink." I roll my eyes, "But I'm not going to hold it against him. He thought I tried to rape your little sister while dating you." 

I groan at his attitude towards it all, "You don't understand." 

"You seem to forget who I am. Izaak Summers: known bad boy who has been in trouble with the law more times than you've seen Judge Judy."

"I've never seen Judge Judy."

"Then you've obviously not experienced life to its fullest." He senses my heightened dislike of his attitude and grabs my hands in his, "This is a twisted way of me telling you that everything is going to be perfectly fine. My father won't do so much as lift a finger towards yours. Mmkay?" I nod, finally convinced. 

Izaak leans forward and quickly pecks my lips. Although a millisecond, I manage to go to Pluto and back at the feel of his lips. "School starts in five days." I take my mind off of how I want to jump on him at the moment.

"Which is more of a reason why this will blow over. Our parents won't stray our minds from senior year of all things. Woohoo," He throws up a grape to catch it in his mouth. 

"You're excited." I say sarcastically. 

"I'm just not prepared to let go of summer." He looks me dead in the eyes and I'm reminded of how beautiful his are.