A Four Letter Word

New chapter ~.~

There are many things I don't understand. Too many things I don't understand for that matter. But what I don't understand the most is love. Just the concept of it. I mean, you meet another human being and learn almost every single thing that has to do with them. You study every detail until you can memorize even the small things like the way they laugh and the way they hum when they think or something like that. Then you begin to love those small things. You begin to fall in love with everything about them. Even when you hate the person, you still love them. That's weird. Love is weird.

These are my thoughts as I stare at my Frosted Flakes. Two flakes catch my attention. They're pieced together almost like a puzzle. A perfectly pieced puzzle. That's probably what love is. Two people who are perfect for each other.

"Are you going to eat it?" Mom laughs while sipping on her coffee.

"I'm not that hungry actually." I mutter.

"When are you 'not hungry'."

"When I'm late for work, oh God." I jump from my seat, feeling bad I'm abandoning my cereal so easily. I look to my mom expecting her to have the same reaction, but she sips her coffee calmly. "What are you doing? Why aren't you running to the door to take me?" I gesture dramatically.

"I'm not taking you today." She smiles deviously.

"What? What do you mean you're not taking me today?" No one has time for this.

"Izaak's taking you. He's waiting outside, so you better hurry."

Her misleading smirk and lack of eye contact frightens me. This is awful. Are Izaak and my mother brewing up plans to humiliate me? The last time I got in a car with Izaak, my cheeks burned red and my throat stopped digesting air. Or...whatever. I just know it was awful.

"Mom, can't you take me?" I plead.

"Why don't you want to go with him? You two need to learn how to like each other or at least tolerate one another while living here." She finally sets down her cup of coffee.

"We do tolerate each other!" I whine.

"Then there shouldn't be a problem going to work with him." Mom gives me an unnecessary wink. "And you should know that he has to get to work too."

I walk off mumbling profanities I would surly be extremely punished for. Then, I have to face him. His honk makes me jump. He has sunglasses on, which makes him look ten times hotter. But that's not really what I should be thinking about right now.

He's sitting in the driver's seat like last time. He has a smirk across his lips like last time. And I'm walking towards him feeling unsteady and uncomfortable...like last time. Deja vu? Yes. The worst kind too.

When I'm about two feet from his car and breathing heavily might I add, he rolls down the passenger seat window. "You're not going to sit in the back again are you?"

What? Like...excuse me?

"If I remember correctly, a particular prick told me I belonged there." I'm glad about the lack of stuttering, but I still feel like I'm shitting a sack of potatoes. Weird and unusual.

He doesn't say anything, just opens the door for me from the inside and gestures towards him. The whole thing is suspicious. Suspicious to a point where I want to run back inside, grab my mother's coffee, throw it on the ground, and force her to take me to work. But, of course, I do the sane thing and take his offer. If it's even considered sane.

You see, sitting next to someone in complete silence can be one of two things. It can be nice and refreshing. That's the kind of silence you have with someone who you're completely comfortable with. Then there's the other kind. The kind where you feel the need to say something just to fill the void. Right now, it's neither of those. With me and Izaak, we have the silence where I can feel tension circling all around us.