Chater Twenty Nine

The power that he felt when he changed was astonishing. To one so young and defenceless to suddenly have muscles and power it was such drastic change. He let his mouth open wide just so he could feel the stretch and he could deepen that growl. He felt like an adult.

                His legs felt stiff as if he wanted to run, to use them, to push his limits, the room itself, as big as it was, felt like a tiny cupboard; too small and cramped for his shape. He expected brown fur, but he looked down to see a beautiful cream colour. Not quite white, his fur was thick, and long and he felt for a second a pang of disappointment. Brown wolves looked scary but he was white, what if he looked like a mere teddy bear? If he was in his young human form he would have blushed in embarrassment but he looked up at the Leader once his howl of challenge had been let out and he did not see mockery. He saw no smirk, no laugh and no cocky behaviour reminiscent of the leader before Tim changed.

                Tim felt himself frown and wondered what that would look like now he was wolf. He turned first to Tendra who had turned her head to stare at him. It was her face that gave him confidence. As masked as it was in blood, and crumpled in horror for Ray, he saw her eyes widen in pure shock. But this time she did not make to protect him, to shove him behind her and take whatever attack was aimed at him. Instead she looked up and strained her neck to do so.

                He hadn’t thought how tall he might actually be but as soon as she leaned back to fully see him he look down at himself and realised he towered about her. How on earth had he managed to grow so much? The turning point of his life though, the one moment when he finally felt proud, when he felt like an adult and he was the man he needed to be for Tendra, was when she leaned towards him.

                She leaned towards him in a little movement of protection. She was asking him for protection and he wasted no time in giving her that. He finally felt the honour of being there for his family. He took two steps and had inserted his body between Tendra and the Leader.

“Tim.” She whispered to him still in awe at his appearance. “You’re beautiful. You’re bigger than me. Be brave now.” She lifted one side of her mouth, not a full smile but encouragement but her eyes sparkled. She did not think there was hope of surviving but he saw that she thought there was some dignity in which they could die. He now had an opportunity to die not only fighting, but protecting one he loved. He was mature enough to understand that and he hoped the look he was giving to her managed to tell her that as well.

                Warmth on his back leg made him whip his head around but it was only Tendra. She touched his fur and buried her hand in its lush bristles. Yes, she understood him. He lowered his head slightly, one last time. He wanted to protect her but he saw the pained look in her eye; Ray was under too much strain in that pile of humans. She was breaking her heart to see it and he wouldn’t let her break her heart any longer. Time to be brave, time to give allegiance to his Alpha. And what better way to do that than by trying to save him?

“Goodbye Tendra.” He thought to himself in his head wishing he was able to tell that to her, but her stroking of his leg paused but she kept the contact.
“Goodbye Tim.” She mouthed to him. A pearly drop fell from her lashes and landed on her bottom lip where it clung to the plump red for a second, a single second, before falling to her lap.