Chapter Four

He hadn’t expected her to actually come to him of her own esteem. He had expected his beta to bring her kicking and screaming to him. And though he did not want that, he had expected it.  So when he saw her, he stopped in what he was doing. And then he stared frozen to the spot.

                At just under six foot she was very tall. But also very thin and wearing a wrap around skirt that went from hip to ankles. It had a simple elegance to it that showed off her figure as she walked bare foot through the trees. Beautiful was his initial thought. He felt the bond taking place and connecting them together even stronger; binding her to him and he couldn’t stop it even if he was mad enough to want to. Her top was of a design that seemed to clip to the skirt at her navel then branching out to cover her chest and wrap around to her back. It gave him tantalizing glimpses of her skin, her waist, from hip to just under her rib cage. The design was one of hierarchy herself. She had dressed herself to be striking in appearance and her confident walk was clearly to show him she did not intend to submit to him. But that very design backfired on her, when he saw the scars on what should have been flawless skin.

                The closer she got to him the more he could see her skin was bruised. Her walk was paced. Slow and steady to show she was not a threat, but neither was she vulnerable despite her bruised skin telling him she was. He would demand answer the minute she was stood in front of him.

                To her it was like a walk of shame. Her bare feet barely touched the ground and she knew she made no noise but emerging from the overgrowth and bushes came eyes, bodies and she was aware of walking through the middle of wolves. They had converged on either side of her, like a procession. Her heart hammered in her chest. She was intimidated; they could kill her easily. At the same time, she would not forfeit this meeting, not now she had decided to come to him.

“Stranger!” The Alpha called out to her. He wanted to show her his power first and foremost, she had denied coming to him for two weeks and ran from him and his men, she needed to know that had not pleased him.

                 She met his eye and looked away. Not a challenge but far from submission, all an act as she hid away her fear hoping her beating heart wouldn’t give her away.

“Your wolves have dogged my footsteps since yesterday.” She sounded angry determined to show him that as he wasn’t pleased wither, neither was she with him. “I am here to say to you, I will not join your pack, though I mean it no harm.”

“Interesting how you would come here alone, into the very heart of my pack to tell us that.”

“I am unharmed.”

“That we can see.  But pray tell, what makes you think that we will let you go.” He taunted her, of course he would let a normal wolf leave but not her, not his mate and she should know that, she should have sensed it the moment she met eyes with him. How could she think he would let her go now?

“Because I do not belong here. I will not submit to you.”

                She had no idea it seemed. Oh how she should have been prepared for more than formalities. This had gone behind polite identification yesterday. There was no going back and she would submit. He would have her!