Chapter Sixteen

“Tendra? Don’t ever call me Alpha again. You are my mate and to you I am Ray.” He placed a cup of tea down on the table in front of her. They had both finally calmed down enough that Tendra sat at the table and he had made them tea. Nancy who had heard their argument excused herself, giving them some time on their own to hash out their disagreements.

“What are you going to do to my father?”

“Tendra? Honestly I don’t know. I have never known a breach of the law like this. It just isn’t done Tendra. The wolves couldn’t imagine it when you walked into the clearing bruised. You have no idea what it was like for us who found you being beaten. I want to hurt him Tendra I really do. But, we could discuss the pros and cons to that. Even humans don’t hurt their prisoners.”

“When will you decide?”

“When this is over and I have figured out what has happened to Ashton and secured your safety.”

                She twirled the cup in her hands. She didn’t really want a cup of tea but Ray was trying to calm her down. She hoped he also took a sip of his tea because he looked like he needed to calm down as well. At least he wasn’t shouting at her anymore. She wasn’t as scared of him.

“Ray? I really can smell them.”

“How?”

“I don’t know. I just can.”

“When did they first start following you?”

“Well mum died when I was fifteen, so it was shortly after that when he started to get in trouble. I can’t recognise them by looks but they came to the house a few times, when they were doing business with my father. I could smell them then. Then things went bad, Father wasn’t doing what they wanted, I think he pocketed money when he wasn’t supposed to or slacked, that’s the gist I got from the little conversation I heard. But yeah, about fifteen.”

“Before you changed for the first time?”

“Yeah, I only changed when I was half way through my sixteenth year.”

“That’s still quite young, the stress of your situation probably made your wolf emerge before many others. That’s interesting though, you were exposed to their scent before your wolf took over. You shouldn’t have been able to even smell people, let alone them. But that might go some way to explaining why you can still smell them, if you were exposed to it throughout your maturing.”

“Maybe. But I do smell them, do you believe me?”

“I’m starting to… What do they smell like?”

“… like death. Rotten.” She whispered.

“I’ll take you.”

                She looked at him, right in the eye, “To where Ashton was taken?”