Chapter Thirty-Seven - Moving... on?

Chapter Twenty-Seven

Melody swiftly dismounted the broom as her toes swept the crisp, summer grass swaying in the honesuckle scented breeze. She flicked her long, wavy auburn hair over her shoulder and wiped her watering eyes stinging from the whipping wind as she had been flying against the gale.

She bathed in the late summer sunshine, shaking her aching limbs from where she hand been bent into position upon her heavily varnished Nimbus 4000. She balanced the handle gently upon her hip, wrinkling her nose as the scent of incredibly strong cologne filled her nose.

Soon enough, a man who could be no older than 25, walked into view, holding two bottles in his hand, one of which he tossed at Melody who caught it easily in one hand. As she wrenched off the cap with her teeth he grinned, slinking an arm around her shoulders and leading her away from the pitch and towards the shower block.

"How's my favourite seeker doing?" The young man asked as she took a swig of her sparkling butter beer which he oddly didn't touch. "You looked great out there by the way! Thakeham don't stand a chance." She grinned, leaning into him as she took another sip of the sweet, syrupy substance.

"They're good, I'll give them that." She smirked slyly. "But they are nothing against the Holyhead Harpies."

"You said it." The man concurred, hugging her tighter as she giggled slightly. "You keep this up, and you might just be seeing a promotion in the not too distant future." Melody stopped abruptly, spilling butterbeer everywhere as she stared at him, wide eyed with her mouth hanging open.

"You-you mean-"

"The place of captain is yours, if you want it." He grinned, expecting her to fling her arms around his neck, to scream with delight, something other than smile half heartedly and shyly rub her arms. She blinked, staring at her feet as he frowned, tilting his head to the side before brushing her chin with his fingertips, tugging her head up to look at him.

"What is it?" He said softly, brushing his thumb across her lips as she frowned, tears glistening in her eyes.

"N-nothing." She hiccuped. "I'm thrilled! H-honestly, thank.... thankyou." She sighed resignatedly and he scowled slightly, dropping her face and stepping back.

"It's him, isn't it?" He said suddenly after a moment of silence where she stared at her teammates in the distance and he studied her face. Melody said nothing, narrowing her eyes whilst trying to regain her tough composure, broken by the stray tear rolling down her mud splattered cheeks.

"I don't-"

"Don't give me that, Melody, the whole 'I don't know what you're talking about' thing. I can see straight through it." Melody faltered, frowning as his eyes scanned her face. "It's him again, isn't it?"

"Who?" She murmured weakly, paling as he laughed.

"The guy that you have been pining over." Melody furrowed her eyebrows as he smirked triumphantly. "I'm right aren't I? There is a guy! I knew it!"

"There's no guy, Jack!" Melody snapped, swinging her broom over her arm and stomping off, light speckles of rain beginning to tickle her cheeks and cause her matted hair to stick to the back of her neck. The rain fell heavier as she felt strong arms grab her around the waist and turn her around.

She refused to look up into his eyes as the rain relentlessly lashed her cheeks, instead studied the logo emblazoned on his jumper as he scowled down at her.

"Don't let him rule your life, Melody. You... you are one of the most beautiful, wonderful people I have ever met. Don't let him change you-"

"He doesn't rule my life! I'm a free person, I can do what I want." She tried to shake him off but he held on tighter, fingers digging into her skin as he willed her to look at him, to stare him directly in the eye and tell him the truth.