Chapter Thirty-Two - A Battle or a War?

Chapter Thirty-Two

Melody collapsed onto her hammock, not even caring that the Room of Requirement was strangely empty and three extra beds had sprung up beside hers. She did not even care that she looked an utter mess, mascara staining her pale cheeks, hair matted to her head as she burrowed her face into her pillow and cried, trying to stifle her sobs. It was going to be a long night.

She stirred when a gaggle of excited voices crowded around her bed and she was roughly woken by her sister, face stained with tears and a demented smile upon her lips.

"Melody," She whispered, Neville standing beside her, grinning with as much veracity as she was. "I've got a surprise for you." She pulled her sister upright, smoothing down her rumpled hair and wiping away the tears. 

"Snape's gone." Neville said excitedly and she crumbled inside. She frowned gently as he began to gabble what had happened.

"It's Harry! Harry's here! Snape ran away as soon as he saw him-"

"I'm not sure it's quite like that, Neville." A boy teased and Melody's eyes widened. She dragged herself away from the warm bedding and stared with disbelief at the three people standing in front of her. Harry looked so strange, hair longer than she had ever seen it, hanging like an inky black curtain upon his shoulders which reminded her somewhat of Snape. A thin layer of stubble brushed his skin as he smiled gently at her, causing her to frown and turn to the boy beside him.

"RONALD WEASLEY!" She screamed, running forwards and slapping him roughly so his head snapped to the side. "YOU DISAPPEARED FOR MONTHS! WHAT THE HELL DID YOU THINK YOU WERE DOING? WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME BEHIND?"

"Melody,"

"NO! Save your apologies! I can't believe you didn't share your plans with me! I'm your twin sister for goodness sake!" Angry , salty tears were rolling down her cheeks as he clutched a hand to his stinging skin.

"Merlin's beard, Melody, why did you have to hit me so hard?" He grumbled as she scowled at him, hurt evident on her face.

"Melody, we wanted to take you with us, we really did-"

"Liar!" She screamed at Hermione who fell silent, tears brimming in her eyes as she saw the pain etched upon her friend's prematurely aged face. It was unbelieveable how much Melody had changed - She had lost a lot of weight, ribs visible beneath her clothes and arms thinner than they had ever been. All care in her appearence had gone, her hair hung down to her waist as he dull, lifeless eyes glared at the three of them.

"We're sorry, Melody. Please, don't be upset." Harry dragged her into a hug as she tried to pull herself away. She finally gave in, snivelling pathetically into his shoulder as he rubbed soothing circles on her back like you would to a teething child.

"Don't you ever, EVER leave me again!" She sobbed and he gently kissed her forehead before passing her over to Hermione who was also crying.

"We promise." She murmured into her friends hair before she finally allowed Ron to take her into his arms.

"I really am sorry, Melody. I wanted to take you with us, believe me I did." She wrapped her arms around him and whispered.

"It's ok, I guess..."

Melody zoned out, watching mesmerised as a group of the order came flooding in, collecting students as troops. This was when she began to realise that this was it - They were at war. Hermione filled her in on the Horcrux hunt, and apart from gasping and frowning at the right moments she said nothing in reply. It just seemed to be going over her head, drowning her almost.