Chapter Ten - Christmas Gifts

Chapter Ten

Melody's gaze was firmly fixed on the fire through fear that it would suddenly drift over to the man sitting in the shadows on the other side of the room, nursing a small glass of Fire Whiskey. She snuggled into Oliver's arms and blushed at the kiss he planted on her forehead as he murmured softly into her ear.

Fleur was nestled beside Bill, trying to sing along to the radio much to Mrs Weasley and Ginny's contempt as she warbled on. It was noticeable that most of the men in the room couldn't keep their eyes off her, or in Bill's case - their hands. Fred and George were shamelessly eyeing her up whilst Ron sat opened mouthed, staring at her, as did Harry for the most part.

The one man who didn't seem bothered by the half-veela's presence was Professor Snape. He only had eyes for one person in that room who was currently kissing Oliver gently on the lips, fingers curling through his hair as he tenderly caressed her cheek with his hand.

Snape began to scowl, staring into the depths of the amber liquid which he then downed in one swift gulp, eyes drifting back onto Melody as she snuggled into Oliver's chest, vision blurring with sleep as he wrapped his arms comfortingly around her. The older man growled slightly when he saw the display of affection as she pressed her mouth against his before burrowing into him, falling swiftly asleep.

She perked up however, when Oliver nibbled her ear affectionately and Snape could see that whatever he was whispering to her was making her more and more awake by the second. He could tell that the younger boy was trying to seduce her, and it was working. The next thing he knew, they were kissing again, just as passionate as before, if not more so. His hands were running across her body and settled on her backside as her mouth worked in unison with his. If he saw anymore, Snape was sure he would be sick.

Without another word, the black cloaked man stood up, nodded in reply to the questioning look Molly gave him before sweeping out of the room, daring to glance back at the still heavily embracing couple. His stomach lurched and he slammed the door on his way out, finally disturbing the interlocked pair who pulled quickly apart. 

Melody frowned, furrowing her eyebrows as she looked for Snape in the crowded room but couldn't find him like she wanted to. With a loud sigh, she pulled herself reluctantly away from Oliver's warmth, leaving him with a parting kiss before drifting towards the door and continuing her search.

"Professor?" She whispered, feeling her way up the dark stairway with her hands as the weak moonlight barely cast a glow within the ramshackle house. She reached the top of the stairs and could see a silhouette backdropped against the night sky on the balustrade at the end of the corridor. 

Melody approched the man slowly as not to be noticed. Only when she was inches away from him did he stir, but all he did was give her a small glance before looking back out onto the countryside where snow was beginning to settle. His grip on the banister of the small balcony tightened, making his knuckles turn white with the strain.

 "Professor, I wanted to talk about-" She was cut off when his hand was clamped over her mouth and she was bundled bodily into the room on the landing. He released her once the door was firmly shut and muffled with various enchantments.

"What do you think you're doing? Speaking so loudly about that!" He hissed harshly, pulling her up from the floor as she indignantly snatched her arm away and brushed herself down.

"I wasn't speaking loudly. And besides, why should it matter?" She snapped, eyeing him up and down as he sneered at her, lip curling unpleasantly.

"What if someone had heard you, you stupid girl?" He growled and she bared her teeth menacingly, stepping closer to him as he scowled at her.