Chapter Six

I woke up gasping and gulping the clean air greedily. There was no sense of suffocation and no smoke. I was okay.

I looked around and realized where I was. After walking for what had seemed like ages, I had laid down at the edge of a meadows where the trees met the grass.

The grass was soft and I understood why they often referred to it as a bed of grass. The trees smelled nice and I inhaled deeply through my nose.

I felt safe and I felt myself relaxing. I longed to stay there forever, but I knew that I couldn't. I had to save Phyre. I owed it to him. He had saved my life and I had to do the same in return. I refused to feel indebted to him.

I figured, though, that it wouldn't hurt to stay there and relax for just a little while later. The setting was so perfect and for one brief instant, I contemplated running. I could hide in a forest somewhere far away and forget about everything that had just happened.

But where could I really hide that they wouldn't find me? They had taken over the whole world. There was no where safe that I could really go without eventually being found out. Someone would see me. The whole world was crawling with people who liked this new lifestyle.

I wondered if my fighting was even worth it. What could some kids do? We didn't have proper training or real weapons. The government could probably shoot us down if they really wanted to. They probably knew that we didn't stand a chance against them. So why continue fighting?

I wondered for the first time if it was worth it to risk my life for people that didn't want to be saved. I could conform. I could let them take me over and wipe my mind. I doubted that it would hurt...

But I couldn't. It was wrong. The way that they were controlling everything was wrong. They were tearing families apart and people deserved to be free. No one needed to be controlled. The government was dictating everything and it was wrong.

No. I couldn't let this continue. No one was happy. Those under their control were always tired and were always worked to the bone and I couldn't stand by and let it happen. I wouldn't stand by and let it happen. But I needed a plan. A real plan. Not a "I'm Hunter Caster. I can take on the whole world single handedly."

Because I couldn't. I wasn't invincible. I couldn't do this all on my own. I needed help. Real help. And real weapons. I needed a way to take down the government from the inside.

I bit my lip. I could sacrifice myself. If I did that, then I would be on the inside. Assuming, of course, that they didn't kill me on sight.

It was the beginning of a plan. I could get on the inside and from there, I could rescue Phyre. Maybe there were other bands of rebels. If I could get to them, then we could all work together to bring the tyranical forces down. Right?

However, I didn't have a real way to get to them. Did I? I couldn't take a boat. All of that was strictly monitored. I couldn't take a plane. Those were banned and most, if not all, were destroyed. I didn't know what to do, but I had to do something.

If I worked with the government, I could probably get to them. But they would probably erase my mind. I couldn't let that happen. Because then it would be for nothing.

I sighed and sank to the ground. In that moment, I felt hopeless. There was nothing that I could do. This plight for freedom was a hopeless cause.

And then, an idea struck me.

I stood up quickly, dusting myself off. I had to get caught. But I had to do it in a clever way. A smart one.

I grinned as the beginnings of a plan rolled through my mind, and took off running. My footsteps were light and easy and by the time I got to my destination, I had barely broken a sweat.

The man behind the cart looked at me with narrowed eyes and I shot him a grin in reply.

"What do you need, Hunter?" He growled out.

"Hey, John. I've come to get something. Something you owe me," I said, the easy smile still on my face.

He tensed, his whole body rigid with distrust.

"And what is it I owe you?" He said. But he already knew the answer.

I grinned wider. "You know exactly what I'm talking about."