Chapter Ten

I followed Grumpy down winding hallways and looked around as I did so. The place was very nice, but I had no illusions. I wasn't a guest here. I was a prisoner.

"So..." I said, looking at my guard. "How long have you been working for Him?"

Grumpy glared at me and continued walking.

"Oh come on. Lighten up. It was just a question."

He snorted at that and I sighed. At least he didn't glare. That was progress, right?

The truth was, I didn't care about how long Grumpy had been employed. I was just trying to make conversation as I thought of a way out of this mess.

I couldn't believe my luck. If I hadn't gotten distracted by that email from my-

No. I shook my head roughly to clear away the thoughts about her. Thinking about her would make me cry and crying was something I avoided at all costs.

After what felt like an eternity, we stopped at a door and Grumpy withdrew a key from his pocket and unlocked the door.

"Welcome to your room, Miss Caster," he said, ushering me in.

I looked at him and then back down the way we came. I was sure that if I really wanted to, I could escape. But that would ruin my plan. So instead, I entered the room and Grumpy followed, closing the door behind him.

My first instinct, of course, was to fight him. A girl in a room with a guard? That just screamed rape scenario. But instead, Grumpy gave me a tour.

The room was, like the rest of the place, very nice and modern. I had a TV hung on the wall above a dresser and three closets. And on the far wall by the window was a huge bed. As I looked at it, I began to feel more and more tired. But I decided not to sleep until Grumpy was safely away.

After the tour of the main bedroom space, Grumpy gestured to a door that led into a huge bathroom. There was a real toilet, a real bathtub, and a real sink. It had been eight years since I had last used anything like that.

"Enjoy your stay," Grumpy said as he left, closing and locking the door behind him.

I didn't even bother to check to see if the door was locked. The clicking sound was all I needed. So, instead, I wandered over to the closets and flung the doors open to all three. Inside the one to the left was a vast amount of dresses. They were quite beautiful, but they weren't really practical.

Sighing, I ran my hands over the fabric of one and relished the soft and silky feel of it. Then, I walked over to the center one. Inside that one was jewelry and accessories to the max. If I didn't know any better, I would've felt like a princess.

After looking through the beautiful items, I walked over to the far right dresser and found shirts and pants. I felt a slight thrill go through me. Real and clean pants! I quickly pulled out a pair along with a white shirt and then walked over to the dresser.

I felt like Beauty from Beauty and the Beast. I supposed that it couldn't hurt to enjoy myself a little and, after pulling out fresh undergarments, walked into the bathroom and started the water. I let it run until it filled the bathtub with scalding hot water and quickly shrugged off my old clothes.

I glanced over at the mirror above the sink and grimaced as I saw the stitches. It was no surprise why my breasts hurt. I was going to have ugly scars, but that was the least of my worries. So I quickly shoved the thought to the back of my mind and sank into the water, wincing slightly as it touched my skin.

Once I adjusted to it, it was quite nice. Smiling, I closed my eyes and tilted my head back, letting the water wash over my hair.

Slowly, I drifted off to sleep.

---------- Six years ago ----------

"Hunter?" A little voice asked. I looked down at Harlow and smiled tightly. We were both losing so much weight. I could clearly see her cheek bones and her eyes were sunken in. I was sure that I looked no better.

"Yeah?" I replied, kneeling beside her. We both needed food. It had been two weeks since her mom passed away and I kissed her forehead.

"I'm hungry. And I don't feel good."

I sighed. I needed to get her food.

"I'll go tonight and get some. I promise."

She smiled widely at me and I flinched. I couldn't help but wonder if I would be able to keep that promise.

"Would you tell me a story?" Harlow asked, looking up at me with her big, green eyes. Looking into them was like looking into her mother's.

"Alright. What story?"

She paused for a moment and then smiled broadly.

"The story of the Huntress!"

I smiled slightly. I had made the Huntress up in an attempt to appease the children without moms that we often saw. She had become somewhat of a legend.

"Alright. There is a young woman and she is named The Huntress. She has silver eyes and dirty hair that would shine like moonlight if it were cleaned," I began, quoting what my mom would often say about my hair before she'd been taken.

Harlow looked at me with interest and I continued.

"All of the bad guys live in fear of her. She can remove the wings of a fly with her sword, and can split hairs with a single swipe of her knife. She is a true hero.

"One day, when she was walking through the forest, she was attacked by ten guards all at once. And, all on her own, she managed to fight them off. After that, she became the government's worst nightmare.

"With a single look, she can freeze men in their tracks. She is the leader of the rebels and no one knows her real identity because she always wears a mask. However, everyone knows that one day, she will save the world."

Harlow clapped her hands.

"The Huntress will save us!" She exclaimed happily. I forced a smile and nodded.

How was I supposed to tell her that The Huntress wasn't real? That I had made her up?

After the first story, I told her more and after a few hours, she fell asleep.

I smiled down at her and kissed her forehead before standing up and leaving. I needed to get food.

"I'll be right back," I whispered to her sleeping form before leaving.

If I had known what would transpire next, I never would've left...

---------- Present Time ----------

I woke up still in the tub. The water had become lukewarm and I quickly finished washing before standing up and draining the water out.

Once out of the tub, I dried off and pulled on my clothing. I hadn't felt so clean in such a long time. It was a nice change. And even after my nap, I was very tired.

I decided that it wouldn't hurt to sleep for a bit and wandered over to the bed and laid down.

Just as sleep was beginning to claim me, however, I heard the door unlock and open.