Chapter Seventeen

My mother. Tears stung my eyes as I studied her appearance. She looked almost the same as I remembered her except for the fact that her blue eyes no longer shone with a light as they once did.

That must've been why I hadn't recognized her immediately. Without the light, she looked sad and unlike the woman who had raised me.

"Mom," I whispered softly, fighting back tears.

He looked at me and grinned, standing up. He urged my mother to do the same and she complied.

"Hunter. You recognize our guest, don't you?" He asked, smirking. My mother looked at me and despite my hope that she'd recognize me, she didn't. Her face remained impassive.

"So this is the girl you were telling me about?" She said. My mother's voice had once been full of warmth. But now it was cold. The girl? That's who I was?

"Yes. Marie, I would like to introduce you to Hunter. Also known as The Huntress," He said. He seemed to be enjoying this way to much.

"Ah. Yes. The Huntress. I know her. The troublemaker," my mother said, watching me with cold eyes. She really didn't recognize me.

"Yes. The troublemaker," He said, grinning like a cat who had just eaten the canary.

"I'm not a troublemaker," I finally said, speaking around the lump that had formed in my throat.

"Of course you are. You're ruining everything this wonderful man and I are working for," Marie, my mother, replied. Her voice was dripping with hatred and I felt like I was suffocating.

"That man ruined lives," I fired back. He tore families apart. Including ours, I wanted to say.

"And you don't? You have young people die for you and your stupid cause everyday. Parents lose their children because you brainwash them," she said. Her voice was cool and collected and it cut deep.

"He has adults die for him! He brainwashes them and works them to the bone! He takes all the fight out of them and makes them nothing but slaves!" I practically screamed, desperation making my voice hoarse. I wasn't the villain. I wasn't the life ruiner.

Was I?

His words echoed in my head about He and I being more alike than I realized. Was He right?

"You know, I think we should all sit down and enjoy our meal. Don't you?" He asked smoothly, pulling the chair out for my mother and then for me. She gracefully sat down and smiled politely. I sat down as well, but didn't bother with the smile.

"Is this why you brought me here?" I hissed as He pushed my chair in.

"Of course," He replied, grinning at me. He placed His cold lips against my cheek and I flinched away from him, looking over at my mom out of habit.

I expected her to snap out of it and to tell Him to stay away from her daughter. Instead, she watched us with an uninterested expression.

"Your lips feel like those of a fish," I ground out through my clenched teeth. I hated the feeling of His lips against my cheek.

A look of anger flashed across His face, but He quickly smoothed away the lines and instead smiles coldly.

"You should get used to them," He said with a smirk. I opened my mouth to ask him what he meant, but I stopped.

Outside, the sound of gunshots could be heard. Then, everything was quiet. Until the window shattered, sending shards flying.

My mother's face was a mask of shock and I stared at her. Lodged in her neck was a long shard of glass.

"I don't think-" she choked out before going silent. I just stared.

Author's Note:
Hi guys! Sorry for the long update time! I had writer's block. But now it's gone and I hope you enjoyed the chapter! I'll try to update a bit quicker. Um, yeah! Sorry for the wait! Please vote and comment! Especially if you wan a quicker update!
See you all next time and happy reading!