fourteen

CHAPTER 14| EVELYN

KYLE STOOD WITH HIS BODY PRESSED against the cool damp brick wall, his long slim fingers bringing a cigarette to his lips. His lighter cracking in the dark abyss by the time I had arrived home that night, the warm yellow orange embers of the day slowly melting into a cool midnight black. His dark brows furrowed together, a frown etched onto his pale lips replacing his signature smile. "Kyle?" my voice broke the silence his eyes snapped up to meet mine as if he hadn't heard me enter the house.

"Evelyn, hey." He groaned immediately putting out the cigarette in an vintage stone birdbath. "Didn't hear you come in."

"Clearly," I laughed taking a seat next to him, on the wet porch. "Thought you quit." I said gesturing to the damp charred remains of the cigarette butt.

A cynical half-hearted laugh erupted from his lips paired with a roll of his electric blue eyes, "You have to really start something before you quit, love." I nodded letting my fingertips graze the waters edge, with ignoring the algae and the  numerous cigarettes that floated on top of the water. We sat there on the balcony under the chill of the stars for what felt like hours before he spoke again. "How was the interview? Andy was nice to you, right? Can't have her knocking on my girl."

My cheeks flushed, "I'm not your girl, but yes the interview went okay."

"For now, at least." He winked, "But seriously was Andy nice to you?"

My face fell momentarily, "Yeah, she was okay. I'm guessing she's one of your hook ups?" His eyes glistened dangerously, his hand placed over his heart in mock hurt.

"Evelyn, I'm hurt that you would ever suggest something like that, I'll have you know that I'm still a virgin, waiting for you to deflower me." His free hand placed over his forehead. Only Kyle would find a moment to act dramatic like this.

I rolled my eyes, "If you're a virgin then I'm Hermione Granger."

"You just had to pick a fictional character, didn't you."

"Of course, usually they're better than real people." I defended thinking back to the old library and whether it had been demolished yet. Standing up, I headed back into the house, my skin almost numb from the icy winter chill of outside, Kyle soon following after. The smell of warm coffee and cigarettes clung to his clothing, his lips chapped and pale blue, his nose bright read. "You look like Rudolph, how long were you outside?"

He shrugged ruefully grinning. "Since you left, by the way the guys are coming so you might wanna shimmy out of that outfit."

My eyes skimmed down to my white shirt and black shirt, the accompanying cardigan long forgotten. "My outfit is fine?"

"No it's not, Griffin and Matt will be all over you, Eve. They're like cats in heat. I don't want them looking at you like you're meat."

"You're like a cat in heat too, you don't look at me like that..." my voice trailed off as I began to feel a little self conscious.

"You're my room mate, Eve." He smiled putting a lock of hair behind my ear. "And our brains our sick, sometimes we forget about intelligence and how beautiful and timeless that is and go for physicality." My brows furrowed as I stepped back out of his embrace trying to figure out whether he was complimenting me or calling me a prude.

"It's girls like you who are a dime a dozen. You're beautiful, intelligent and that's down right sexy and I don't want any of us to corrupt you. What I'm trying to say is I'd rather have a conversation, lay with you and have relationship-like shit with you than fuck you and leave you straight after. You deserve more than us, like a proper book-loving intelligent guy that's probably working in a bank and will treasure every part of you because you're fucking amazing and shouldn't just be a one night stand." He smiled, letting his hands comb through my shoulder length hair and kiss my head tenderly. "Now, please change?"

I stood there dumb founded at his words before nodding and scurrying off to the closet that was adjacent to the bathroom. In all the books I had read nothing prepared me for that kind of statement.

After a few moments I came out, trying to conceal the nerves that were in my stomach as I walked back out to the now crowded room, the boys hadn't noticed me yet. Victor was explaining something along the lines of how they might have a tour in their future if things went according to plan, Griffin suggested for the umpteenth time that they should change their names to Griffin and the boys, a statement to which earned Kyle to throw him a pillow to the stomach. "Evelyn, hello dear god didn't see you there." Victor graced me with a warm smile and a side hug and gestured for me to take a seat, however the only empty one was between Kyle and Matt and being stubborn as ever I decided to sit on the floor besides the beanbag chair Evan was laying in.

"Hey, Vic." I muttered hugging my knees listening to him waffle on about how important Saturdays performance is especially since it'll be at a different location rather than the Roxy. Matt nudged me, his eyes peered into mine excitedly.

"Brilliant, isn't it?"

My eyebrows knitted together in confusion, when did he even move? "What is?" Matt's shoulders shook as he laughed loudly, slapping his knee.

"Wow, you really weren't listening to this, were you? We are playing at Andy's Artisan coffee bar, you know where you are now employed?"

"But why would you play at a coffee shop...it's a coffee shop?"

Matt rolled his eyes. "It's a coffee bar, coffee shop during the day, bar in the evening. It's not all espresso machines and cupcakes, Eve."

"Evelyn." Kyle suddenly interjected causing both mine and Matt's eyes to snap up to him.

"What, bro?"

"Her name is Evelyn, not 'Eve'." He snapped moving from his seat and towards the kitchen almost knocking over Victor who was on his fifth cup of tea. My brows furrowed watching his retreating figure confused of his sudden snappy attitude towards Matt.

***
LATE UPLOAD
Because writers block and art assignments that are due in this week. I'm sorry. :( on the upside it's almost winter break 🙃❄️.

Tantalising KISSES (name changed to TAINTED HEARTS) has been uploaded. 🌞